site work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite true, 90% of the work i see is sub standard. So pro rata that includes 70% of the peeps on here, i'll allow an extra 20% because if you're keen enough to search out a forum them you are perhaps interested in doing a good job. You're not part of the 70% are you Johnny?
i wonder myself sometimes, but I am heading for retirement , I must be doing something right as some tight ass developers pay me decent money,I have never yet done a job that I thought was perfect, I see faults and things that I don't like on my work all the time,but others are happy with it, the painters are happy with it,but I feel that the next job needs to be better or I will be "found out" years of banging out jobs for developers ,flat after flat after flat, 3 a week on refurbs was my norm and it earned well from it, the plasterers who don't care are the problem, I like continuity, same people hiring me all the time, some are clueless re quality some are very aware, we get nominated by architects as well but some jobs are not worth the bother. If I could I would get into buying,refurb ing and selling but London is so expensive and people are paying stupid prices so I muddle on plastering

i wonder myself sometimes, but I am heading for retirement , I must be doing something right as some tight ass developers pay me decent money,I have never yet done a job that I thought was perfect, I see faults and things that I don't like on my work all the time,but others are happy with it, the painters are happy with it,but I feel that the next job needs to be better or I will be "found out" years of banging out jobs for developers ,flat after flat after flat, 3 a week on refurbs was my norm and it earned well from it, the plasterers who don't care are the problem, I like continuity, same people hiring me all the time, some are clueless re quality some are very aware, we get nominated by architects as well but some jobs are not worth the bother. If I could I would get into buying,refurb ing and selling but London is so expensive and people are paying stupid prices so I muddle on plastering
"heading for retirement" surly thats a long way off john,, were still spring chickens,, lol

I think your probably being a bit hard on yourself john but I do think that if you know the difference between a good and bad job you can call yourself a real plasterer. Also if you keep getting asked back and your getting decent prices its a good sign. Nothings changed, most people want to deal with someone who knows what there talking about in all aspects of the trade and for you to leave a clean and tidy job without giving them any hassles, in out job done.

I think your probably being a bit hard on yourself john but I do think that if you know the difference between a good and bad job you can call yourself a real plasterer. Also if you keep getting asked back and your getting decent prices its a good sign. Nothings changed, most people want to deal with someone who knows what there talking about in all aspects of the trade and for you to leave a clean and tidy job without giving them any hassles, in out job done.
My mantra on jobs is always we are problem solvers, people don't hire we to tell them this is wrong, this is in the way ,this is not ready, I go in, clear the site if needed,get ready what's possible,do what's ready, room by room we will get it done, we help out not give out, we don't moan, they like this, its " john will sort it " clients like this, the moaners are not wanted, the guy who works with me always says, you shouldn't do these jobs, there never ready, I say nothing, no point, I do it ,invoice,move on

My mantra on jobs is always we are problem solvers, people don't hire we to tell them this is wrong, this is in the way ,this is not ready, I go in, clear the site if needed,get ready what's possible,do what's ready, room by room we will get it done, we help out not give out, we don't moan, they like this, its " john will sort it " clients like this, the moaners are not wanted, the guy who works with me always says, you shouldn't do these jobs, there never ready, I say nothing, no point, I do it ,invoice,move on

Sounds familiar, and the easiest way is to hit them where it hurts most, in their pocket and then the arguments start. Its not easy.

thanks for the post rob I was about ask a similar Q,been offered some work in stoke on meterage but its on renovation job ,think I will give it a miss on the prices quoted

Sorry, I Know meterage prices are a no no, but I'm gonna lay it on the line here. No less than ten pound a metre for board and skim. if i keep getting the nod it will be 11 pound next month. I've work till christmas at these rates, the tide has turned. Up Up And Away.............

Liked yours 3 times Olican:RpS_thumbup:
Keith Now going to add friend or like as i just been on and could not see a like button but will work it out eventually:RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.