Site spread vs house basher

Members online

lurpak

Artex Boy
Had a moderately heated discussion today after I made a comment on a job, it was a fully boarded out extension. I basically said it's a well deserved break as I only do domestic re-skims, which seemed to trigger a spread who only really does site work. I might have said I could teach my toddler to skim plasterboard, but re-skims having to deal with artex, blown old walls, 4 walls all going off at different times etc etc etc was much more difficult than just skimming board day in day out.

Thoughts?

Had a moderately heated discussion today after I made a comment on a job, it was a fully boarded out extension. I basically said it's a well deserved break as I only do domestic re-skims, which seemed to trigger a spread who only really does site work. I might have said I could teach my toddler to skim plasterboard, but re-skims having to deal with artex, blown old walls, 4 walls all going off at different times etc etc etc was much more difficult than just skimming board day in day out.

Thoughts?

there really shouldnt be much difference.
its knowing the game on both sides (y)

I haven’t worked on site since the nineties but, it was a lot more involved than most domestic jobs I do now. We used to plaster the insides ceilings, stud walls and float and set walls, lay the floors and render the outsides, I know times have changed but not everyone is a skimmer who works on site

Skimmings skimmings there no difference I'm my opinion .now floating that's a different ball game altogether

Yeah obviously float n set is a different ball game altogether. But having to bond out chases and holes, deal with thick artex using the "magic mix" etc etc.. is not the same as skimming a perfectly flat plasterboard wall.

Yeah obviously float n set is a different ball game altogether. But having to bond out chases and holes, deal with thick artex using the "magic mix" etc etc.. is not the same as skimming a perfectly flat plasterboard wall.
I think you are comparing domestic with skimmers, so yes in that case you are right but site work isn’t just skimming

There isn't much skill in bonding chases and holes either really tbf. Site work for us, is usually sand cement floating, bonding ceilings, skimming. Usually scratch outsides and then bands, rub, mono, dash etc. Domestic work is handier and pays more, in my experience, but then I haven't been on site for myself yet. Just in a. Gang, but can get away with higher prices in domestics.

House bashing is shite same old day in day out on wank meterage prices . Cranking gennys up at 7 in the depths of winter how nice

And yes none of it's rocket science. I loved it in my twenties but now I'm 44 it just pays the bills

There isn't much skill in bonding chases and holes either really tbf. Site work for us, is usually sand cement floating, bonding ceilings, skimming. Usually scratch outsides and then bands, rub, mono, dash etc. Domestic work is handier and pays more, in my experience, but then I haven't been on site for myself yet. Just in a. Gang, but can get away with higher prices in domestics.

I think the only really skilled part of plastering is float and set. But I still think other than that, some of the refurb work is much more complex then board. For example, you put 4 walls on. 1st wall is painted in silk paint. Second wall had to be bonded out level as was previously 2 rooms. And the other two are artex. All going off differently. I personally enjoy the challenger and find board mind numbing.

I think the only really skilled part of plastering is float and set. But I still think other than that, some of the refurb work is much more complex then board. For example, you put 4 walls on. 1st wall is painted in silk paint. Second wall had to be bonded out level as was previously 2 rooms. And the other two are artex. All going off differently. I personally enjoy the challenger and find board mind numbing.
It’s pretty much the same on site 4 different types of boards plus you got your new /old boards which all go off at different times and we don’t usually get the luxury of unibonding to try and even it out

It’s pretty much the same on site 4 different types of boards plus you got your new /old boards which all go off at different times and we don’t usually get the luxury of unibonding to try and even it out

The dry boards are great as don't need to sit around waiting

Lucky to get half that here scottie. Last I looked into it (although it was subbing, not in direct,) would roughly have worked out at 300 a day after tax between a 2 and 1,me n mare were Gona go halfers and have a lab.

Lucky to get half that here scottie. Last I looked into it (although it was subbing, not in direct,) would roughly have worked out at 300 a day after tax between a 2 and 1,me n mare were Gona go halfers and have a lab.

Thats mad that.
To be honest you'd be hard pressed round here to find any sites paying much less then 3.50 a mtr. As a one man band there's an Hours prep first thingm the morning then a couple of 3 and a 1/2 bag gauges and your knocking on the door of 300 a day without breaking much of a sweat and home for 3.30.

For me site work is more interesting and varied, domestic work is 99% just skimming over pva. Domestic is a challenge to keep everything clean but doesn’t provide much stimulation, on site I’m regularly dabbing, screw boarding, skimming obviously and rendering maybe even an mf ceiling or gypline a wall every now and then, don’t get that variety elsewhere. Site wins for me.

Thats mad that.
To be honest you'd be hard pressed round here to find any sites paying much less then 3.50 a mtr. As a one man band there's an Hours prep first thingm the morning then a couple of 3 and a 1/2 bag gauges and your knocking on the door of 300 a day without breaking much of a sweat and home for 3.30.
That's great money .far cry from that in Manchester

There was 2200 on them houses before tax, apparently would take a 2 and 1 into the 6th day, time u go in, bead, float, and skim out. I'd say u could get it back to 5days once get into swing, could send one man to go bead next. One another finish last setting etc. Not a hundred percent sure metrage rates, I know more Bout the sq foot way, by floorspace, and it's about 2quid ud get subbing, maybe around 2.50 direct. Know of one's payin 1.60-1.70 before tax,was offered some, no interested, that's a killing match.

There was 2200 on them houses before tax, apparently would take a 2 and 1 into the 6th day, time u go in, bead, float, and skim out. I'd say u could get it back to 5days once get into swing, could send one man to go bead next. One another finish last setting etc. Not a hundred percent sure metrage rates, I know more Bout the sq foot way, by floorspace, and it's about 2quid ud get subbing, maybe around 2.50 direct. Know of one's payin 1.60-1.70 before tax,was offered some, no interested, that's a killing match.

That's just a race to the bottom that :confused:

FOOKthat

i actually switched back to domestic work in the recession....i could still make it pay skimming @£2.
but when it went to £1.80.
my soul died.
i ended up busy on domestic work....it was like being on holiday....but half the money !!

It's because there are a few big outfitd here, have a few big. Sites tied up, and they can afford to make a little off each house as they make it up over several jobs, someone like ourselves pricing against them u don't often win, and then they sub it out,and keeps prices on the lower side. Better than it was a few years ago all the same.

i actually switched back to domestic work in the recession....i could still make it pay skimming @£2.
but when it went to £1.80.
my soul died.
i ended up busy on domestic work....it was like being on holiday....but half the money !!
Domestic here u make more,last decent one I took on, I made 2weeks wages is 4days.but not enough of them about sadly.