Site monkeys/Skimmers vs "proper plasterers"

Members online

The_one_coat_wizard

I'm a site monkey/skimmer only ever done the other useless stuff at college during apprenticeship.

This is for all the self proclaimed -
"proper plasterers"
"I'm a old school plasterer"
"no mixes past 2 o'clock types"

Why are u lot so slow on sites?

Us younger lads will 90 percent of the time smash the old school types all day long on site meterage and pick up far more money

Last edited:
It’s good to have confidence and a bit of swagger but definitely should have respect for the older guys , I’ve met loads of older plasterers there knowledge is great and there opinions matter a lot mate where ever they work.

giphy (5).gif

What do you call smashing it?How much is way more?I work on site aswell as private,and as vincey said have respect for old-school lads.Im 36 by the way.

I'm a site monkey/skimmer only ever done the other useless stuff at college during apprenticeship.

"proper plasterers"

Us younger lads will 90 percent of the time smash the old school types all day long on site meterage and pick up far more money
AAFCDD20-E000-4668-A2D1-013B6F4B5601.gif

"proper plasterers"

Because you will never know the feeling and pride in being a tradesman with a wide knowledge base and a skills set far beyond just coating plastarboard. Imo. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your hard earned money .

"proper plasterers"

Why do you “younger lads” have no respect? I’m 37 and do everything because that’s how I was taught when I started in 1996

"proper plasterers"

Funny you should mention skimmers slashing it on.
i was talking to a site agent today, he told me that he had 1 greedy kunt on his site. it was 3 pm everyone was going home, the skimmer was still mixing up. next morning the agent thought that he would go and have a look at what he had been up to, plaster all over the glass, he was told to clean it up. what the skimmer did was scrape the glass with his trowel, scratching the glass. the agent had to get a contractor out to polish the scratch marks out. now that skimmer has lost his weeks wages over this. so you see it does not always pay to rush around!

Last edited:

"proper plasterers"

As the wise Andy G would say......
c**t !

and what do you think becomes of the "younger lads"? Time ticks on and they become "old school types".

So the old school types have already done everything that the young lads have, plus a lot more. They've already earned the big bucks, spent them, and then earned more.

It's understandable that you're a bit jealous of all that they've done, and feel a little inadequate because your achievements don't stack up. But take heart, if you keep at it one day you'll get there. (y)

It's all a bit of fun dont take it to heart, I've worked with some brilliant old school lads,
Lads who taught me more in one week than any of my time at college and I wouldn't dream of saying anything back to them in work

but lately coming across more and more of these older lads who either can't get the metres down or simply don't have the time in their claiming they have

Last edited:
What do you call smashing it?How much is way more?I work on site aswell as private,and as vincey said have respect for old-school lads.Im 36 by the way.

It depends massively on how fast the other person is but I've seen lads do 50 metres a day more than others.... sometimes more, working the same hours, not giving away prices on a public forum but work that out for yourself on a 5 day week even at the worst prices about per metre

I'm a wank monkey/swallow only! I’ve never done the anal stuff at college during the week.

This is for all my proclaimed -
"proper rent boys!”
"I'm a old school tea bagger"
"no dips past 2 o'clock types"

Why are u lot so well hung?

Us rent lads will 90 percent of the time stand around on the street corners giving it away too all types all day long on site and pick up far more money

It depends massively on how fast the other person is but I've seen lads do 50 metres a day more than others.... sometimes more, working the same hours, not giving away prices on a public forum but work that out for yourself on a 5 day week even at the worst prices about per metre
@zombie how many plasterboards is 50 m

Thats all well and good, but its because of those young uns that the prices are so crap....so then instead of smashing it out of choice you HAVE to do it to make owt.

You young uns need to use yer loaf...soon youll be too f**k*d to hammer the metres and youll be called 'old boys'.

"proper plasterers"

Ha ha you wouldn't now what to do with a couple of pallets of hardwall . I'm 46 and I'd bet my wages against yours who gets the most meterage on

Prices have been crap for a long time

To even say it's the younger lads driving the prices down shows how much of the bigger picture you see.

It's a bottom of the barrel trade, we know it, other trades on site know it, suck it up and swallow it is what we've always had to do or other lads do the job

Prices have been crap for a long time

To even say it's the younger lads driving the prices down shows how much of the bigger picture you see.

It's a bottom of the barrel trade, we know it, other trades on site know it, suck it up and swallow it is what we've always had to do or other lads do the job
So what you getting a m2

So what you getting a m2
Another reason prices are crap, is because its all over the Internet forums roughly how much people are paying, contractors and customers already have a good idea what they should pay us because of stuff like this

I'll tell you the prices I get on here and every Tom dick and Harry can see it and thinks oh ill try and get it done for less than that

Another reason prices are crap, is because its all over the Internet forums roughly how much people are paying, contractors and customers already have a good idea what they should pay us because of stuff like this

I'll tell you the prices I get on here and every Tom dick and Harry can see it and thinks oh ill try and get it done for less than that
I doubt they will cmon you were giving it charlie big b*ll***s tell us

Come on
FD54D80A-A956-485B-A9A7-039354019D64.gif