single concrete block painted and damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernmanc77

can anyone advise me if im choosing the right thing out building with 5 inch conc blocks single skin painted inside showing some signs of damp i was thinking maybe s+c with water proofer can a few of you guys run me through the process to detail ie waterproofer sbr how long between coats you know the one thanks peeps:RpS_unsure: or maybe something easier ps needs to be be set after

you need to sort the damp problem and dry it out first. S/c with waterproofer would be the way to go for a scratch but only when dried out. Just bear in mind waterproofer in scratch coat slows set time of top coat so be careful with pva etc. What's on the outside? DO NOT use any gypsum based backing plasters if there's any chance of damp coming back.

im pretty certain its only surface damp as its painted theres no air bricks and its been used as a beaty salon so lots of steam really needed advice on the surface what wouls stick best really and weather to use sbr and if so how also expanding metal???? glossy but not flaky thanks

Ok, understand a bit better now. Was picturing some lean to type construction someones grandad was so proud of building 50 years ago. Inclined to agree with this...

I'd be inclined to stud it.

But maybe with vapour barrier behind studs just in case? Board the studs then skim. Job done...

sounds good its going to still be a beauy salon after hence needs work ill be honest the block work isnt vey plumb so studs would be lumpy which is why my first thought was wp s+c but with it being shiny paint what would i put on it first to stick i keep hearing sbr being used

have you got building control involved?
just one wall or the lot? is it built onto the house?
do you need to follow the regs?
insulate and stud.. stick the insulation to the walls with gripfill temp, a blob in each corner...
50x25 treated battens over, 400ctrs, use starfix concrete screws cos you can wind em back out a tad and set em...

youd need a good 50mil of cellotex and the carbon filter set up would take care of the ventilation...
only problem is... the helicopter can see the hot exhaust from the fan... youd need to vent it somewhere warm...

youd need a good 50mil of cellotex and the carbon filter set up would take care of the ventilation...
only problem is... the helicopter can see the hot exhaust from the fan... youd need to vent it somewhere warm...

The best way out of that ( from what i have heard :RpS_sneaky:) is run the exhaust into pipping under ground and then out, the hot air will cool . :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.