Silicone render mesh method.

Gal Brind

Hi all, new to the thread, well new to posting (so be kind).
Been doing a fair bit of bucket coat lately and I was wondering whether it is ok or the right thing to do to apply your first pass of basecoat and lay in the mesh one day and then lay your second pass over the top another day? Just to make things a bit quicker or does it need to be wet on wet to dry as one monolithic coat?
I’ve seen a render firm do this but wa yes to know some other people’s thoughts.
Though it may be easier if we can just do all the sponging another day without worrying about the mesh.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers lads

As rigsby says. 2 coat winter. In 1 in summer. You won’t have any problems then. Try cutting corners and the finish will look shite.

So rigsby once you’ve bedded the mesh on day one do you just leave it like that or are you giving it another little go over? Say 4mm total thickness on day one then 2mm tight one day 2?

So do you still rule off before you spat or are just spatting it flat mate? I’ve been doing it as you said but ruling off with speedskim, letting it go a bit then sponging it. Did think it was a bit of a waste of time sponging it as I was getting it pretty good just from ruling it off.

Just spat the notched coat the day before gives you the correct depth but a speedskim will do the same you will never see the europeans sponge it

Make sure you drag the notched trowel at 90 degrees and just wipe the mesh on lightly next coat wetter than normal just to fill it out

So the top of the notched trowel comes into contact with the substrate same principle as tiling? then it’s truly 6mm notches ya mean yeah?

The notched trowel raises the basecoat up to proper depth the next coat just infills it all before second coat just give it a light scrape be careful on the mesh over laps

So rigsby once you’ve bedded the mesh on day one do you just leave it like that or are you giving it another little go over? Say 4mm total thickness on day one then 2mm tight one day 2?

As Gibbo below/above says.

I bed the mesh in lightly then spat over just hard enough to cover the mesh.

Lol, I thought about using an open hopper spray gun?? Mixed reviews on them though, what do you’s lads think about them? I’ve got a whole house to do in March and the flank is about 50m2 so could do with a bit of a push on. And thanks rigsby mate.

There’s no stress with scarring but the finish isn’t as nice as rubbed up. Can easily do any size gable alone though so it’s down to how you’re set up.

They are pretty cheap aswell to be fair, may get one and practise in the garage before I go ruining people’s gaffs . Am I right in thinking you don’t necessarily need to keep a wet edge if you spray it aswell? I’m just thinking of the time it will take me to move the compresser down the lifts etc.

They are pretty cheap aswell to be fair, may get one and practise in the garage before I go ruining people’s gaffs . Am I right in thinking you don’t necessarily need to keep a wet edge if you spray it aswell? I’m just thinking of the time it will take me to move the compresser down the lifts etc.
Just get a decent length airline. Can stop and start when you like. It leaves more of a Tyrolese type finish though.

Nice one cheers mate, any guys local to Essex that wouldn’t mind me tagging along for a day or two to learn a bit more about machining feel free to hit me up. Free labour an all that!

Just get a decent length airline. Can stop and start when you like. It leaves more of a Tyrolese type finish though.
So I can get an airline that would reach up the top of the gable whilst keeping the compresser on the ground? Any links to decent compresser/hopper guns would be much appreciated lads.

Personally I think it looks wank sprayed I dont even believe it should be i just think people have adapted spraying it for ease and not for the benefit of the job.
Agree mate. Getting decent lads is a ballache though so needs must at times.

Ok, so here’s a question.
If I don’t go down the sprayer route, can I divide the flank wall up with a movement bead or something to split it into two hits? There’s a big chimney that stops about 1500mm from the ground so I could put a bead in line with the edge of the breast? Or am I just being a nob? Used them to my advantage with mono but haven’t had to do it yet with silicone.

Personally I think it looks wank sprayed I dont even believe it should be i just think people have adapted spraying it for ease and not for the benefit of the job.
I do thin coat day in day out it's become my soul trade now spray base coat most day's got the setup for bucket coat but I only use it on commercial jobs, I only hand finish on private residences,

Ok, so here’s a question.
If I don’t go down the sprayer route, can I divide the flank wall up with a movement bead or something to split it into two hits? There’s a big chimney that stops about 1500mm from the ground so I could put a bead in line with the edge of the breast? Or am I just being a nob? Used them to my advantage with mono but haven’t had to do it yet with silicone.
Just being a knob mate
50m 1 smashing it's on one rubbing up behind about an hour's work