should plasterers over 40 have to have an performance appraisal evry 2 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
should plasterers over 40 have to have an performance appraisal evry 2 yrs and if your over 50 every year.
This is what a cheeky little 20 yrs old spread tried telling me, He went on to say a bit like old folks and driving.

Hmm I thought some young spreads need a appraisal every 6 months more so on how to set beads and how to float and set. I suppose we have all been young and think we are the Top Dog at plastering.

Every week for a 20yr old if not every day i have sent a lad away at 10am before cos it was obvious he was a knacker and don't even get me started on young labs

Cheeky **** in my opinion, I am forty Seven and have great eyesight still but sadly bad knees,some of these jumped up fucks think they are smarter and will be able to spin a few pounds easy,

should plasterers over 40 have to have an performance appraisal evry 2 yrs and if your over 50 every year.
This is what a cheeky little 20 yrs old spread tried telling me, He went on to say a bit like old folks and driving.

Hmm I thought some young spreads need a appraisal every 6 months more so on how to set beads and how to float and set. I suppose we have all been young and think we are the Top Dog at plastering.
Henry why did your boot not give his arse an appraisal ?.

My last labrador was convinced that bin men only work one day a week, young dumb and full of ....

Well on performance I would fail. Since turning 55 I have slowed down but now I do the beading and the other slow tedious tasks. The others shift the tonnage. I was at Fifty as fast as a 22 year old I had but being the boss I always had to do 110% to get 100% out of the others.

When I took out a pension at 23 I told the rep that I will carry on as I am now (plastering) till I am 55 then slow down in my last 5 years and retire at 60. Well I am but if I could spread until state retirement I would. I looked back to the recession of the early 80's and thought of all the established plastering contractors that went to the wall and the then 55+ owners packing up and either retiring or buying pubs. I thought lazy buggers get the trowel out and work on your own but now I realise being long term bosses that didn't actually physically work a day on the tools would probably kill them.

Me I am now in the gym 4 times a week and eating proper food with no junk. Feeling fine but the tennis elbow is still keeping me off the trowel so being a beader and boarder and rubber upper looks like it is the way ahead for me for a while. But when it comes to discipline todays lads are tossers. No ambition to get on in life and everything is just to hard and best left till tomorrow.

Well on performance I would fail. Since turning 55 I have slowed down but now I do the beading and the other slow tedious tasks. The others shift the tonnage. I was at Fifty as fast as a 22 year old I had but being the boss I always had to do 110% to get 100% out of the others.

When I took out a pension at 23 I told the rep that I will carry on as I am now (plastering) till I am 55 then slow down in my last 5 years and retire at 60. Well I am but if I could spread until state retirement I would. I looked back to the recession of the early 80's and thought of all the established plastering contractors that went to the wall and the then 55+ owners packing up and either retiring or buying pubs. I thought lazy buggers get the trowel out and work on your own but now I realise being long term bosses that didn't actually physically work a day on the tools would probably kill them.

Me I am now in the gym 4 times a week and eating proper food with no junk. Feeling fine but the tennis elbow is still keeping me off the trowel so being a beader and boarder and rubber upper looks like it is the way ahead for me for a while. But when it comes to discipline todays lads are tossers. No ambition to get on in life and everything is just to hard and best left till tomorrow.
Yes ,people arrive on site and always sees the mountain and never the path up it.negativity gets me down,

After having had time to reflect on this subject my views have changed slightly and maybe an appraisal of our mental health could be the way forward cos we must be mad to have spent our lives hammering our limbs and joints in the pursuit of making a crust :RpS_laugh:

After having had time to reflect on this subject my views have changed slightly and maybe an appraisal of our mental health could be the way forward cos we must be mad to have spent our lives hammering our limbs and joints in the pursuit of making a crust :RpS_laugh:

I sussed this out years ago when I had to take 6 years of with tynosinovitus, when i came back onto the tools I started of slowly and built up speed. Made sure that every bit of rend was mixed right or refused to use it and all i did was spread at a steady pace for 7 hrs. As for mixing and lumping bags of pebbles I left that for the labrador. In fact I would only do what he could,t do and that is with a trowel anything else he did it and I would not let him stand for 1 minute. I never stopped so why should he?

Look after your body and wear somebody else,s out. State retirement is now 66. Invest in property, and observe the foreigner,s they now how to make money without killing themselves for it. Has anyone noticed how many middle eastern people are in the auction rooms on homes under the hammer? There is an I****n family owned Premier near me whats open 6.30am till 11pm with English staff and they are loaded. Buying local properties to rent for cash and go from strength to strength. They employ local builders as well and pay the going rates which is unusual.

Remember, nobody owes us a living!

I sussed this out years ago when I had to take 6 years of with tynosinovitus, when i came back onto the tools I started of slowly and built up speed. Made sure that every bit of rend was mixed right or refused to use it and all i did was spread at a steady pace for 7 hrs. As for mixing and lumping bags of pebbles I left that for the labrador. In fact I would only do what he could,t do and that is with a trowel anything else he did it and I would not let him stand for 1 minute. I never stopped so why should he?

Look after your body and wear somebody else,s out. State retirement is now 66. Invest in property, and observe the foreigner,s they now how to make money without killing themselves for it. Has anyone noticed how many middle eastern people are in the auction rooms on homes under the hammer? There is an I****n family owned Premier near me whats open 6.30am till 11pm with English staff and they are loaded. Buying local properties to rent for cash and go from strength to strength. They employ local builders as well and pay the going rates which is unusual.

Re the auctions ,been at quite a few and have been caught on the cameras from time to time bidding, there is a funny old mix at the auctions, from Asian,I****n, Sikh ,Irish,,Jewish, every type of people at it in London, lots of the super rich in all those categories too and the jobbing builder, lots of the spreads on here are into buying and selling or letting, I like to see forward thinking, the plastering game will only feed you..

Re the auctions ,been at quite a few and have been caught on the cameras from time to time bidding, there is a funny old mix at the auctions, from Asian,I****n, Sikh ,Irish,,Jewish, every type of people at it in London, lots of the super rich in all those categories too and the jobbing builder, lots of the spreads on here are into buying and selling or letting, I like to see forward thinking, the plastering game will only feed you..

It is when your body goes wrong and you have no choice but to pack it up and then what? You are virtually unskilled and there is no shortage of them but a shortage of jobs for them.

There all tossers im 43 and starting my building business again after slowing down to one man work to me its boom time all the good guys are retired or doing something else the remodeling and small extension work is booming. I'm hitting it big time for the next 20 years with money and retirement in mind and also to train some decent youngsters up to leave some decent people left bit of a dream but f@ck it somebody got to do it!

It is when your body goes wrong and you have no choice but to pack it up and then what? You are virtually unskilled and there is no shortage of them but a shortage of jobs for them.
Registrar at guys in London bridge suggested I go into management when I was 38 , he knew I was doomed ,9 years later I have no doubts..

A friend of mine who i served my time with has not touched a trowel except to shut up mouthy git's since he was about 26 he bought his first property when we were 18 it took me almost 8 more years to wise up but i have never just limited my horizons to the plastering/building game and will try to turn a profit anywhere you have to don't you if you want to get on.

2 weeks ago i was working with a 62 year old plasterer ,he still had it big time :rolleyes) it is all about your own health in our game

Rigsby what's your real name? I sware you are the spit of glyn my original gaffa who trained me!

I came out of serving my time a different lad not only did he teach me to spread but also life skills etc, he always said he sick of people thinking life owed them a living! :)

An old Scotsman called Tom Morton taught me when I started off in Swindon. He was absolute class. He was still working but I don't think he really needed to. Obviously he wasn't doing shedloads of work but the company I worked for called him in for the special stuff that the t*ssers who called themselves spreads couldn't do. I spent as much time with him as I could get away with and ignored the other tw*ts.
As well as being a **** hot spread who could do everything including making cornice moulding he was also a News of the World semi finalist at darts and a bloody gentleman. I miss him a lot. He was 72 years old when I was working with him.

Hey I often still work alongside my father when times are busy. ( im third generation plasterer) dads now 70 yr old and although he complains he still clambers up and down scaffolds and trestles, does great big jobs, float and skim, rendering etc. He likes to only work on average 3 days a week nowadays. and why does he still work??? To pay for his skiing holidays ! :)

Yes it enthusiasm for the job. I keep getting it knocked out of me but come bouncing back.

Would have said the younger inexperienced end would be more likely to be appraised than the lads that have been doing it for years. Come across plenty of work in the past that a newer skimmer has done and they could have done with some guidance of an older hand.

Yes because that would mean i another 6 and a half years someone would come and asses me take one look say your works **** pal your not allowed to plaster anymore:RpS_thumbsup result i'm free

Hey I often still work alongside my father when times are busy. ( im third generation plasterer) dads now 70 yr old and although he complains he still clambers up and down scaffolds and trestles, does great big jobs, float and skim, rendering etc. He likes to only work on average 3 days a week nowadays. and why does he still work??? To pay for his skiing holidays ! :)

Still got it at 70 ?

Props to your pops.

Ive an uncle whos nearly 70 who looks like he s in slow motion but at the end of the day he's still throwing on more than some of the kids and better Quality.Mind you I'm 27yrs plastering and only 42 but if I had to start again,I'd take me auld man's advice and do something else. maybe banker or politician .actually I could nt I have a conscience thats why I still leave good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.