Should plasterer have removed socket/switch covers?

Members online

Corax

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and new to getting plastering/skimming work done. I recently bought a new bungalow that needed some skimming work done (artex removed as well as some previously papered walls).

In short because I am inexperienced I didn't express at the time but I'm not really happy with the finish. None of the sockets/switches now sit flush as they were not unscrewed and pulled off the walls (I just guessed this would be the only way to do it and I wouldn't need to tell him to do this).

Also the edges where the ceiling meets the wall are not that well done, look quite rough/slight gap.

In short is it normal practice to remove the sockets before skimming? I would have done it myself if i'd known, or should it really have been up to me to do it?

In short yes they should be removed and taped up or bags on whatever. Only thing I won't do is put them back as if your going over artex you may require longer screws! So that's your job, but I make sure everything is clear in the box and ready to refit
Hope this answers your question
But in another breath you could get guys out there saying they won't touch sockets but that's just not right in my opinion

Saying that I did a full house a few weeks back and customer put plaster guard on boxes throughout the house, great Idea I think you can get online yoozibox or something like that.

we release the sockets, scrim around the hole , cut the socket out and replace the face plate after final trowel.
the ceiling line must be clean with no gaps up to the ceiling.

Never take sockets off you might get electrocouteded :reloco: aka DEAD! :llorando:

Just go round them, can use credit card or a kids ruler for inbetween sockets (y)

(Credit: Mr Hillside)

IMG_6670.PNG

Always make sure you cover light shades aswell customers love it :sisi:

IMG_6671.JPG

Thanks for all the responses to my question, answers have confirmed what i kinda suspected - that it was slack not to unscrew them.
I'll take a few pics and upload them tomorrow for reference.
Thanks again!

So here are some pics.

I actually unscrewed all the sockets (and then dug them out lol) and scraped the worst of the plaster off....

Cpl are of the ceiling join and one of a wall too.

Attachments

• IMG_20180309_154837.jpg
    IMG_20180309_154837.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2,427
  • IMG_20180309_154610.jpg
    IMG_20180309_154610.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,450
  • IMG_20180309_154650_1.jpg
    IMG_20180309_154650_1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,573
  • IMG_20180309_154733_1.jpg
    IMG_20180309_154733_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,157
  • IMG_20180309_154711_1.jpg
    IMG_20180309_154711_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,203
  • IMG_20180305_125950.jpg
    IMG_20180305_125950.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3,074
  • IMG_20180305_125940.jpg
    IMG_20180305_125940.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2,933
Had free access to the kettle/milk/tea throughout the job, as was at work myself. Even put out two packets of biscuits for him ffs
Oh dear! No excuses there then! And I’m sorry but That was definitely not a qualified spread that done the job for you because that’s a absolutely shocking standard of work! I hope you haven’t paid for that yet??

Oh dear! No excuses there then! And I’m sorry but That was definitely not a qualified spread that done the job for you because that’s a absolutely shocking standard of work! I hope you haven’t paid for that yet??

Unfortunately I have, not really knowing what to fully expect, I went based on the feedback received on mybuilder.com - all of which was good. My gut told me it was a bit s**t but I thought maybe I was wrong due to all the good feedback

So here are some pics.

I actually unscrewed all the sockets (and then dug them out lol) and scraped the worst of the plaster off....

That's a top notch job done there. Hope they were rewarded well financially for their expertise

Why not tho...they are passing out the leads? Or is that not how it works?
Seems it's getting common now.
There was another thread on here couple of weeks ago,my builder or checkatrade
Was used to get a "tradesmen"

Why not tho...they are passing out the leads? Or is that not how it works?
Seems it's getting common now.
There was another thread on here couple of weeks ago,my builder or checkatrade
Was used to get a "tradesmen"
They might suspend he account till they investigate, don't know lodan might knows more, I only ever had one lead off from there, picked a right crook builder to sub for, walked off the job with my mate, received a bad feedback from him, that was all, since he's been removed as people's complained about his dodgy workmanship but that was 2-3 years after we worked for him

They might suspend he account till they investigate, don't know lodan might knows more, I only ever had one lead off from there, picked a right crook builder to sub for, walked off the job with my mate, received a bad feedback from him, that was all, since he's been removed as people's complained about his dodgy workmanship but that was 2-3 years after we worked for him
Not sure they'd do anything, don't think they gaurantee work just act as an introduction service I've seen a few that got several negatives and then the accounts were closed weather this was my builder or the company who shut it down I've got no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I just want to move forward and rectify the work. The money is hard won so it's a bitter pill but don't want to dwell.
I'd normally only go on a recommendation from someone I knew but am new to the area.
What's the best way to get this up to standard? Can someone who knows what they're doing sort it out or is it a case of starting from scratch?

To be honest I just want to move forward and rectify the work. The money is hard won so it's a bitter pill but don't want to dwell.
I'd normally only go on a recommendation from someone I knew but am new to the area.
What's the best way to get this up to standard? Can someone who knows what they're doing sort it out or is it a case of starting from scratch?
Yes.....bit of filling,sanding.. a good painter will sort it(y)

Some sanding and bead of decorators caulk along those lines is a good place to start. If it's solid on the wall it should be saveable

Unfortunately I have, not really knowing what to fully expect, I went based on the feedback received on mybuilder.com - all of which was good. My gut told me it was a bit s**t but I thought maybe I was wrong due to all the good feedback
Controversial but I’m Sorry to say in my opinion mybuilder.com, trustatrader, facebook etc are all shite to find trades! They are a breeding ground for the total dog rough shitty make believe tradesmen of this world! I’m really sorry to hear that you have had this experience with a total wally! Where are you based? I’m sure a proper well known member of this forum will help you out. Good luck! X

So here are some pics.

Sweet Jesus that's butchered you would be well with in your right not to pay them ,mybuilder and sites like that are very easy to build up good feedback
Which is totally false fake comments fake reviews ,one question was your quote for the job cheap ,,,,I would think the answer to that is yes .

Don’t talk to me about sockets

Only took um off today after reading this thread

View attachment 22235

Tidy job Vincey, is that pure finish? I walked off that job I was trying to push it on Monday. Was told it was ready to go, couldn’t even get a wall or ceiling to go at in 600m2 no windows or doors in the front of the house, house flooded with the frozen pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets be honest you got what you payed for a cheap job.
most people that use my builder want their jobs done for next to nothing,
you should have got a few quotes you probably did then went for the lowest.

then come on here whining about how you been seen off.
hope you pay a decent rate to the decorator when they turn up to make a pigs ear into a silk purse.
@Danny i,ll be out on the motorbike tomorrow giving it max.