Should plasterer have removed socket/switch covers?

Members online

Paid £1700 for 5 days work so not exactly peanuts, certainly not in Scotland anyway. He wasn't even the cheapest quote I got.

Im not winning I was just trying to educate myself so I was coming from an informed rather than an uninformed position.

You give bikers a bad name you bellend.

Lets be honest you got what you payed for a cheap job.
most people that use my builder want their jobs done for next to nothing,
you should have got a few quotes you probably did then went for the lowest.

then come on here whining about how you been seen off.
hope you pay a decent rate to the decorator when they turn up to make a pigs ear into a silk purse.
@Danny i,ll be out on the motorbike tomorrow giving it max.

Paid £1700 for 5 days work so not exactly peanuts, certainly not in Scotland anyway. He wasn't even the cheapest quote I got.

Im not winning I was just trying to educate myself so I was coming from an informed rather than an uninformed position.

who,s the bellend that coughed up 1700 quid and got shafted good and proper a fool and his money are easily parted.
live and learn and all that.

im not trying to stir the pot here.....but did you not realise after the first or 2nd or 3rd day you hired a clown.
why did you pay him £1700 for something your clearly not happy with.

Not actually living at the property and had a lot on with work so probably not as focused on it at the time as I should've been. Was just glad it had been done tbh. Anyway thanks to everyone who helped educate me on what I should've expected. Probably should have spent some time looking at pictures on forums like this before he started!

Had a cpl people in since, both said it was really beyond saving so end result is its getting redone. Lesson. Learnt.

im not trying to stir the pot here.....but did you not realise after the first or 2nd or 3rd day you hired a clown.
why did you pay him £1700 for something your clearly not happy with.

Not actually living at the property and had a lot on with work so probably not as focused on it at the time as I should've been. Was just glad it had been done tbh. Anyway thanks to everyone who helped educate me on what I should've expected. Probably should have spent some time looking at pictures on forums like this before he started!

Had a cpl people in since, both said it was really beyond saving so end result is its getting redone. Lesson. Learnt.

lesson learnt ??
get your money back.
£1700 is a piss take for what hes done.

So here are some pics.

I actually unscrewed all the sockets (and then dug them out lol) and scraped the worst of the plaster off....

Cpl are of the ceiling join and one of a wall too.

Lawdy Lawdy.

'Finished?'
'Yes Boss.'
'You'll be wanting paying, then?'
'That'd be nice.'
'C'mere.'
<roots in pocket>
'Come closer.'
<roots a bit more>
'Aha, yes. What you've earned is right here'

<roots right into bottom of pocket>

280fa798-a6d3-45e2-afb1-128eb2b3bcd3.jpg
280fa798-a6d3-45e2-afb1-128eb2b3bcd3.jpg

Now get the FCUK out of my house.

I'd start the ball rolling with court before you get that covered up. Photo the fcuk out of it and check that your plasterer is properly qualified. It's not that an unqualified man will necessarily do a bad job, but Judge Rinder won't listen to him.

Be easier to re skim . I take sockets of because it makes it loads easier . They get put back on if screws are long enough

Late in the day to reply but I would ask the customer to take the sockets off. I will take the sockets off if needed but then the customer would expect them to be put back on. Not always possible but that can stop getting paid!

So in fairness I would if I had to and attempt to put back on but no promises.

As for sending in an employee that’s different. The employee would not be insured to touch them so they would need taking off first.

I lnow of spreads who will not take them off. 1 reason is they don’t pocess a screwdriver the other is not being able to get them back on. Not getting them on can be seen by some customers as not completing the job so no payment.

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and new to getting plastering/skimming work done. I recently bought a new bungalow that needed some skimming work done (artex removed as well as some previously papered walls).

In short because I am inexperienced I didn't express at the time but I'm not really happy with the finish. None of the sockets/switches now sit flush as they were not unscrewed and pulled off the walls (I just guessed this would be the only way to do it and I wouldn't need to tell him to do this).

Also the edges where the ceiling meets the wall are not that well done, look quite rough/slight gap.

In short is it normal practice to remove the sockets before skimming? I would have done it myself if i'd known, or should it really have been up to me to do it?
So basically you’ve f**k*d the whole job up??