Should I remove the old plaster that is cracked

Kevbloke

Good morning.
I’m changing a shower room into a bathroom ( the wife’s request )
After removing the cladding it has uncovered a multitude of holes cracks etc.
my question is should I remove the old plaster that is cracked and some areas with big holes in or just but bonding over the lot and then plaster.
please zoom in on attached photos to see what I mean.
Any help will be much appreciated please.

Kev

Attachments

• FE9481BC-4D97-46DD-AB62-F66C443CFF45.jpeg
    FE9481BC-4D97-46DD-AB62-F66C443CFF45.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 622
  • B313CDB8-AA43-48CB-B139-AE167AC190B8.jpeg
    B313CDB8-AA43-48CB-B139-AE167AC190B8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 427
  • EBB40481-D9E4-4A1B-A503-7C39CF83FDCC.jpeg
    EBB40481-D9E4-4A1B-A503-7C39CF83FDCC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 412
It would depend on what you are doing to the wall, if it's being tiled the wall should be able to take the weight of the tiles so should be checked with a hammer and bolster, if it's being painted remove the loose plaster with the strength of one finger until you can't remove anymore with your finger.

If it's not blown I.d mesh that with some make good skim if it's still 20 p at b n Q then pva and skim with multi

Just looked at pics and looks knackered .

I'm inclined to agree.

That's not just a few cracks - there is some severe crazing on that wall, which implies there's very little integrity left in the plaster. If it was my house, I'd take a deep breath and make the effort to hack it all back to brick, even though it's a bloody messy, dusty job:

crazy crazing.jpg

I'm inclined to agree.

That's not just a few cracks - there is some severe crazing on that wall, which implies there's very little integrity left in the plaster. If it was my house, I'd take a deep breath and make the effort to hack it all back to brick, even though it's a bloody messy, dusty job:

View attachment 58464
Them zip doors from wickes are way forward for when hacking off

we want to plaster and paint, so I will hack it all off and get a plasterer in.

Put a tarpaulin on the floor first. Makes life much easier for clean-up.

More importantly, wear a decent mask when hacking-off (seriously). Not a stupid paper thing that doesn't seal properly to your face.

3M 4251 is a very good option. Toolstation and screwfix sell them - they're about £20 and your lungs will thankyou. (y)

It would depend on what you are doing to the wall, if it's being tiled the wall should be able to take the weight of the tiles so should be checked with a hammer and bolster, if it's being painted remove the loose plaster with the strength of one finger until you can't remove anymore with your finger.
What is one SI unit of finger strength known as?

I'm inclined to agree.

View attachment 58464
Hang on don't be hasty. from the pics we can only see that the skim coat has come away. might just need a scrape with the strength of 80% capacity of one hand?

Good morning.
I’m changing a shower room into a bathroom ( the wife’s request )
After removing the cladding it has uncovered a multitude of holes cracks etc.
my question is should I remove the old plaster that is cracked and some areas with big holes in or just but bonding over the lot and then plaster.
please zoom in on attached photos to see what I mean.
Any help will be much appreciated please.

Kev
We'll all abuse him when he goes for the cheapest quote and posts back up again asking if this job looks right
Come on, they really don't try to pay for a good job so it depends on your home being fine.

Gimnasio Online