Sharpening problems

Hornviper

Hi guys,
I have a new Kraft trowel that I am trying to break in as much as I can. On the box it says "pre-worn" but that's the last thing it is. :D Basically, I sharpen them the same way I sharpen my knives. The angle's just different. I've had really sharp trowels in the past, so I wanted to get this one as sharp as possible. I used a belt sander, but I couldn't raise a burr on the edges. It's pretty sharp at the moment, but nowhere near as sharp as my Japanese knives. I don't think I can shave with it. So, I am kind of wondering if I should chuck it away and get something tried and tested. (probably a carbon steel one) I have no idea what grade of stainless steel the use, but it's hardness is definitely not very good.

Hi guys,
I have a new Kraft trowel that I am trying to break in as much as I can. On the box it says "pre-worn" but that's the last thing it is. :D Basically, I sharpen them the same way I sharpen my knives. The angle's just different. I've had really sharp trowels in the past, so I wanted to get this one as sharp as possible. I used a belt sander, but I couldn't raise a burr on the edges. It's pretty sharp at the moment, but nowhere near as sharp as my Japanese knives. I don't think I can shave with it. So, I am kind of wondering if I should chuck it away and get something tried and tested. (probably a carbon steel one) I have no idea what grade of stainless steel the use, but it's hardness is definitely not very good.

File corners, oil stone followed by wet & dry sand paper any trowel ready to go in a hour!

I agree. The problem's that the edges are not hair whittling/popping sharp. I did the corners, no problem.
A trowel doesn't need to be razor sharp you nutcase. My old man used to deliberately take some sharpness of with the oilstone.

A trowel doesn't need to be razor sharp you nutcase. My old man used to deliberately take some sharpness of with the oilstone.
I've heard quite a lot of spreads say their trowels are razor sharp. Even in some threads. I guess people understand "razor sharp" in a lot of different ways.

P.S Nice carp, by the way. I am a huge fishing fan too.

Maybe cynical of me, but It seems like a fake account talking shite to me

Not really, Simon. I thought I was doing something wrong. As I said in my last post, if something cuts with great difficulty, some people appear to class it as hair popping sharp. 99% of people can't get a knife razor sharp, leave alone a trowel made of cheap, shitty stainless steel. :) The hardness of most SS trowels is probably in the low HRC 50s.

I've heard quite a lot of spreads say their trowels are razor sharp. Even in some threads. I guess people understand "razor sharp" in a lot of different ways.

P.S Nice carp, by the way. I am a huge fishing fan too.
Yeah of course trowels get razor sharp, Christ back in the days of S&C day after day they were like Samurai swords. That's when they're most likely to nick and get damaged.

Yeah of course trowels get razor sharp, Christ back in the days of S&C day after day they were like Samurai swords. That's when they're most likely to nick and get damaged.
I couldn't agree more. A few hundred square meters of rendering break them in like nothing else. The only problem is that sometimes there aren't a lot of rendering jobs about.

My trowels are like Sith lords .....always two one master one apprentice . Use the apprentice then call master to finish then one day the apprentice is ready to become the master and train a new apprentice

My trowels are like Sith lords .....always two one master one apprentice . Use the apprentice then call master to finish then one day the apprentice is ready to become the master and train a new apprentice
weirdo

Agree I had two like razors . Flogged em . Chipped way to easy

The ancient Japanese swordsmiths, the finest axe makers of Sweden and I bow down to your sharpening skills, sir. Getting super soft stainless steel to razor sharpness, and more importantly, preserving that sharpness is something very few people can do.

I also want to thank the folks at Marshalltown for inventing extremely soft, dirt cheap stainless steel that has unseen edge retention. Japan and Sweden can go f**k themselves, disgusting c**ts. :D America, f**k yeah!!!

The ancient Japanese swordsmiths, the finest axe makers of Sweden and I bow down to your sharpening skills, sir. Getting super soft stainless steel to razor sharpness, and more importantly, preserving that sharpness is something very few people can do.

I also want to thank the folks at Marshalltown for inventing extremely soft, dirt cheap stainless steel that has unseen edge retention. Japan and Sweden can go f**k themselves, disgusting c**ts. :D America, f**k yeah!!!
I meant Neil ruddock

Im the same. Got an mt stainless for putting on and an mt carbon for second and finishing off. The stainless also gets used for bonding out and board adhesive etc

just out of interest who supports who on here
I used to follow liverpool n Doncaster rovers. Lost interest when family life happened then watched England v iceland and said I.ll never watch another game . In fairness allways liked spurs had best player ever imo in Gazza. Went to rangers to watch hi. Bit he was fricking injured. Pains me to say it bit would of proved to be world greatest if Fergus had managed to sign him

Maybe I am just a weirdo but I just use my trowels when they are new , fair enough carbon needs time to wear in and yes render would help that along but tbh even skimming with them or at least putting gear on and a flatten then swap back to a more worn in trowel to finish is ok , doesn’t take long

Hi guys,
Japanese knives I’d hate to have a argument with you on site