Sharp sand for rendering?

LPS

Have been asked to match this render for a client... Only a small garden wall. Have always used plastering sand only .. She doesn't want a textured paint on.. Am I right in thinking if I add sharp sand to the top coat it will achieve something simular to this finish? Slightly concerned with the jagged stones added to the top coat with sharp sand it will leaves lines when rubbed up... Advice needed! Thanks guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200622-185101.jpg
    Screenshot_20200622-185101.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 462
Adding sharp will definitely not get you that texture, especially if floated and sponge finish, it looks like textured paint, why does she not want it?

That's what I was afraid of... Apparently the last bloke just rendered it and she painted over it herself with standard exterior paint .. Unfortunatley the old. Boy that did her house has passed away so can't even ask him.. Only other thing I can think of is rub up with a coarse sponge but I still don't think that's gonna get it gritty enough?

That's what I was afraid of... Apparently the last bloke just rendered it and she painted over it herself with standard exterior paint .. Unfortunatley the old. Boy that did her house has passed away so can't even ask him.. Only other thing I can think of is rub up with a coarse sponge but I still don't think that's gonna get it gritty enough?

You may get it like that if you get it really flat and just sponge it but you definitely won't if you float it

Reactions: LPS
You can get that look with HP12 (k rend), flatten (ideally with a spat) then sponge float then normal sponge till you get that effect.

Teroleane gun very lightly and just go over it the once. Might take a couple of trials with the consistency of the muck but recon it will be a good match

2 coats of Hp12 or 1 ontop of a s+c scratch mate?

I'd go 2 coats of hp12, scratch really lightly though, (if using afro comb scratcher), not like normal scratch in a s+c coat

Some lads get excited with the scratcher and scratch really deep - and you can get slump lines.