SHADOWS ON RENDER

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt cornell

Hi everyone
We are currently rendering a new build site, we apply parex spray by machine, rule it of with toothed derbys, leave it over night, rabbler bar it to remove high spots then finish it as usual regually checking with a level to ensure its flat.
It's not possible to get it perfectly flat as its a 3 storey building with lots of Windows and the block work was poor and uneven.
When we've finished the first 3 plots everyone was over the moon with how good they looked. Today they put power on in two of them and they have turned on the extremely bright spot lights in the soffit which shines straight down the render and it cast shadows which to be fair look horrific!!
Is it possible to get it perfectly flat in these conditions?or do you think like me that the lights are harsh?
The client isn't happy at all and has requested a meeting
Shall I stand my ground or just accept its not good enough???

Hi everyone
We are currently rendering a new build site, we apply parex spray by machine, rule it of with toothed derbys, leave it over night, rabbler bar it to remove high spots then finish it as usual regually checking with a level to ensure its flat.
It's not possible to get it perfectly flat as its a 3 storey building with lots of Windows and the block work was poor and uneven.
When we've finished the first 3 plots everyone was over the moon with how good they looked. Today they put power on in two of them and they have turned on the extremely bright spot lights in the soffit which shines straight down the render and it cast shadows which to be fair look horrific!!
Is it possible to get it perfectly flat in these conditions?or do you think like me that the lights are harsh?

Stand your ground. Lights shining down any render will look s**t. If there is brick work get them to put a light down it and they will soon see what lights can show up. If I can remember I think if u put a 2m2 edge on the wall and it's not out by 3 mill u should be alright.

Hi everyone
your lucky ther no sun about:asadito:

get some pics up... will help a lot :D

@Wezly shared some photos the other week so maybe he can shed some light on the process he does...

A deviation of only 2-3mm will cast a shadow.

There is a building in my City where the brick work looks perfect in the day but when the down lighters are on at night it looks like a team of Chimpanzees laid the bricks.

Lights down the sofit will show everything up, from most guys work, myself included.

We have had it ourselves but it hasn't caused a problem yet, touchwood, I ruled, spatted a south facing wall which I finished as flat as I possibly could but as soon as the sun moved it started to show up bits, there were no hollows at all as I had an 8ft straight edge across it.

I think what we are going to try next year is ruling off the first pass before meshing with a serrated edge.

Lights down the sofit will show everything up, from most guys work, myself included.

We have had it ourselves but it hasn't caused a problem yet, touchwood, I ruled, spatted a south facing wall which I finished as flat as I possibly could but as soon as the sun moved it started to show up bits, there were no hollows at all as I had an 8ft straight edge across it.

I think what we are going to try next year is ruling off the first pass before meshing with a serrated edge.
some times "we" see these minor imperfections , as we are looking for them , the customer/client doesn't , good to here you are striving for perfection - I rule with serrated before mesh - I came up with to try as the down lights are getting popular & it does help

Yes mate we do that.gets it as flat as a witches tit

What have you been doing if your not ruling the first pass then?

Stand your ground. Lights shining down any render will look s**t. If there is brick work get them to put a light down it and they will soon see what lights can show up. If I can remember I think if u put a 2m2 edge on the wall and it's not out by 3 mill u should be alright.
Thats why we have the VOB norms in Germany , to protect the plasterers , bricklers or watever is done by Hands. By Rendering we have a tolerance Limit of 2 Millimeters inside in 2 meters and 4 Millimeters outside by 2 meters to.

Shine a light across a newly scrimmed ceiling or wall , ( splash water on it then do the above ) there is nothing worse than the currant bun to wreck you're artwork . Tell the architect it's a trowel & not a magic wand

I see it as one of the main draw backs of these types of scratched back textures, normally with SnC you'd lath, float and 2nd float to get panel flat, its the floating circular action that flatens and fills. With the modern renders we float to get consistent texture with flatness secondary,

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Have never floated a scratch coat myself though nowadays find a good ruling with a nice piece of 2x1.5 makes things easier for the next day.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

I have done a full house in 1989 where I screeded and ruled the scratch coat bang flat and 6mm behind the beads.

The customer at the end of the first day said he expects a perfectly flat job and if it is flat he will pay, if it isn't he won't pay.

I proved to that arsehole I did everything possible to get it as flat as. Well it was and I got paid.

Drive past that job often and it still looks good.

I've done loads of s&c render and I rule the scratch coat and spend more time ruling the final coat. If you can't get it flat with the rule you have no chance of rubbing with the float.
A flat nice finish can be achieved but you will still see the odd mark if you put spot lights up it.
Getting the timing write for rubbing is the key.

Hi everyone
Did you resolve it with them then?
Would be good know what happened
Thanks Vince

Yes thanks
They agreed to turn the lights of and accepted that the lights were to bright they've just left them on on the feature stone work and the houses look really good
Glad to here it ..last thing you want is s**t after you done 3 houses hate them lights

even the sun on a angle will show anything up thats why on site work your allowed 2 hours for the sun to pass onto a better angle...
Yes I agree with what your saying but some work that people leave looks crap without the sun.
If your final coat is to thick it's impossible to get it flat.
On render my final coat is 8-10 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.