Sh*t

reeves1985

First time in 12 years I've had a customer ring me up and tell me a room I've done the skim on the ceiling is blowing in places.

Haven't been back to look but blokes sent me some pics and it definitely looks like it's blowing.

Standard 15 year old house
Matte painted ceiling. Pva and skim.
Nothing untoward or out of the ordinary.

Now this is going to be a bitch to sort out.

First time in 12 years I've had a customer ring me up and tell me a room I've done the skim on the ceiling is blowing in places.

Haven't been back to look but blokes sent me some pics and it definitely looks like it's blowing.

Standard 15 year old house
Matte painted ceiling. Pva and skim.
Nothing untoward or out of the ordinary.

Now this is going to be a bitch to sort out.

Why what would be difficult about it ?

It's a fairly large ceiling and bare plaster lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So is this going to be :-

a) "You didn't tell me you had WiFi. The 2.4 GHz frequency agitates the normal skim that I've used here. I'll have to do it again with the plaster for that frequency. Unfortunately it'll cost you another £1,200:00".

b) "Not sure what's happened there, but I'll hack ff the loose and do it again."

easy solution... overboard... make sure you charge for it though :D

Obviously when you quoted the over skim you gave them the two options of overboard or over skim and you did mention that if it fails they have to pay :D

If they chose the cheaper option that becomes their problem in my opinion and when I had one fail in the past they just paid me to overboard it as I did mention that it is a risk :D

easy solution... overboard... make sure you charge for it though :D

Obviously when you quoted the over skim you gave them the two options of overboard or over skim and you did mention that if it fails they have to pay :D

If they chose the cheaper option that becomes their problem in my opinion and when I had one fail in the past they just paid me to overboard it as I did mention that it is a risk :D

So second paragraph @reeves1985 is this what you did ?

I've only got the call today so haven't been back to see yet just going off what the guy and then decorator said with a couple of pics which don't show much just a crack.

I understand what your saying but it didn't warrant over boarding and no signs something wasn't right.

Weird thing is its only the ceiling.

I have a sneaky feeling it's dried to fast and apparently the parts where it's happened are along a wall that the boiler backs on to.

Bare in mind I skimmed the ceiling Thursday
The decorator was in today
And the sparky was in Saturday and when I called him said it was more or less dry Saturday.

I've only got the call today so haven't been back to see yet just going off what the guy and then decorator said with a couple of pics which don't show much just a crack.

I understand what your saying but it didn't warrant over boarding and no signs something wasn't right.

I have a sneaky feeling it's dried to fast and apparently the parts where it's happened are along a wall that the boiler backs on to.

And the sparky was in Saturday and when I called him said it was more or less dry Saturday.

hmmmm bugger...

Are you on Bg scheme mate ?

And before anyone jumps down my neck for asking I only asked as I feel I may have some valid points to help for all of us , even if reeves isn't on it.

Are you on Bg scheme mate ?

And before anyone jumps down my neck for asking I only asked as I feel I may have some valid points to help for all of us , even if reeves isn't on it.

this is going to be brilliant I can just feel it

Grit it instead of pva if it's only the skim that's delaminated? If paint etc has come off with it then over board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grit it instead of pva if it's only the skim that's delaminated? If paint etc has come off with it then over board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going over later to see what's what the gut sent me 2 shite pictures
IMG_3059.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg
Lol naff on there but both him and decorator said there's movement on skim

Thought it might have been the kitchen when you mentioned a boiler,could've been cooking fat on the ceiling.
No definitely no contaminant on ceiling
House only 15 years old.
Used same pva been using for years.

Didn't warrant grit or overboard

Obviously hindsight is wonderful

Just blame customer for putting heating on too early and suckling his wife's tits while he argues with you?

The first picture with the two cracks, was there no cracks before on the existing ?
Until I go look into won't know 100%
All the cracks were scrimmed I'm more or less certain the second pic is where there was an existing crack which was taped.
Don't sure on the other yet.

There was still some of the settlement cracks from new as when the builders finished the 450 houses they miraculously went bust.
So settlement stuff never got done.
But having said that the walls were the ones that were affected most by this and they are fine.

The only thing I can think of is its dried to quick

Until I go look into won't know 100%
All the cracks were scrimmed I'm more or less certain the second pic is where there was an existing crack which was taped.
Don't sure on the other yet.

There was still some of the settlement cracks from new as when the builders finished the 450 houses they miraculously went bust.
So settlement stuff never got done.
But having said that the walls were the ones that were affected most by this and they are fine.

The only thing I can think of is its dried to quick
Stand your ground mate if they put heating on full whack soon as you left!!?? I bet they did!! Blame them but use grit in future if not overboarding Bond It external grit is the nuts much better than blue grit and the other over priced cack

Stand your ground mate if they put heating on full whack soon as you left!!?? I bet they did!! Blame them but use grit in future if not overboarding Bond It external grit is the nuts much better than blue grit and the other over priced cack
Only ever used bond it once we're all tight lol so tend to use blue grit regular .

Anything dodgy I always grit but sometimes you can't get to job before hand to get the grit on.

But even so it was one of those you look at and there was no need for anything other than pva.

We've all done it a thousand times. Pva and skim. Just seems this one's come and bit me on the arse.
Makes it worse is I actually enjoyed doing that particular job. It wasn't you usual domestic shite you get left to sort.

From that first picture it looks like a piece of tape that's not adhered.

Until I see the area the cracks are in I won't know. I removed a MF built in wardrobe from one end of the room. What's the betting the original paper tape has failed

Only ever used bond it once we're all tight lol so tend to use blue grit regular .

Anything dodgy I always grit but sometimes you can't get to job before hand to get the grit on.

But even so it was one of those you look at and there was no need for anything other than pva.

We've all done it a thousand times. Pva and skim. Just seems this one's come and bit me on the arse.
Makes it worse is I actually enjoyed doing that particular job. It wasn't you usual domestic shite you get left to sort.

From that first picture it looks like a piece of tape that's not adhered.

Until I see the area the cracks are in I won't know. I removed a MF built in wardrobe from one end of the room. What's the betting the original paper tape has failed
As an older person I still think you stand your ground. Plaster doesn't adhere well to anything if it dries out too quickly. Fingers crossed you can remedy the problem with minimum fuss and I'd hope the customer will pay you for your time

As an older person I still think you stand your ground. Plaster doesn't adhere well to anything if it dries out too quickly. Fingers crossed you can remedy the problem with minimum fuss and I'd hope the customer will pay you for your time
I'm not too bothered about being paid to rectify it if it's something that I can sort with a minor repair.

I'll be standing my ground about the heat though.
That'll be a he said she said affair.

If it's the paper tape that's failed then no way am I taking responsibility.

Fingers crossed it's only a little bit that a bit of a scrape and easi fill will sort out within reason

I'm not too bothered about being paid to rectify it if it's something that I can sort with a minor repair.

I'll be standing my ground about the heat though.
That'll be a he said she said affair.

If it's the paper tape that's failed then no way am I taking responsibility.

Fingers crossed it's only a little bit that a bit of a scrape and easi fill will sort out within reason
The affair bit sounds great suggest an affair with his wife so you get something out of it??