settle an argument gents

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty34

evening all , hope everyone is well and busy .:RpS_cool: me and another fella have been doing a house re furb , he's a labourer who's kind of picked the trade up over the years ( so he says lol) , anyway been working with him 4 a few weeks now , and his skimming is pretty decent to be fair . when we got into a discussion about skimming in this warm weather . now the house were working in is like a bloody oven , so i opened all the windows in the house to get some air in and cool the place down a bit before we were gonna start skimming ( didn't want the plaster going off to quick ) when he turned around and said all the windows should be closed when skimming , so i kindly told him he can f**k right off if he thinks im working with the windows closed in this heat. :RpS_mad: am i right gents ?? should the windows be open or closed in this weather ?? surely the heat in the house would make the multi fly off far quicker so windows open ??:confused: thoughts please

buy a fan..but it only circulates the hot air,(digs here guys) an air conditioner would be super sexy on site now...

******* hell, open,skim a wall or two trowel up and move on :RpS_thumbup:
what's happened to the world when a plasterer can't handle a bit of heat:RpS_drool:
in my blue eyes it makes my life easier, no ******* about waiting around,get em on get em troweled :RpS_thumbsup:

Have them open..................:RpS_thumbup:
Had to play devil's advocate on this one cos it was very one sided..................:RpS_wink:

Speaking of arguments....... is there a set distance you fit drip beads past windows or just whatever you want? also is there a preferred angle that you cut the render in at the ends of the beads?

Had to play devil's advocate on this one cos it was very one sided..................:RpS_wink:

Speaking of arguments....... is there a set distance you fit drip beads past windows or just whatever you want? also is there a preferred angle that you cut the render in at the ends of the beads?
No I do them same length of the sill or 2" and cut them back inline with the reveal

what about the angle of the dangle?

what we do is we overhang the the drip beads by 4 inches each end every one cut the same.
the angle, we cut a wooden template on an angle,we hold that along the bead and cut the angle so that every one is the same .

I normally go 30/40 mm past angle bead each side ,I don't cut the angle on a straight line I curve it the same as the curve above the window if that maks sense :RpS_thumbup:

just went to see 3 new houses, the very modern type ,clean lines, oddly they had not allowed for plaster end beads around the windows and now according to the builder cannot afford them, so they want the reveals skimmed without stop beads or end beads where the plasterboard meets the metal windows. houses will be worth circa 800k each finished... budgeting too far?

just went to see 3 new houses, the very modern type ,clean lines, oddly they had not allowed for plaster end beads around the windows and now according to the builder cannot afford them, so they want the reveals skimmed without stop beads or end beads where the plasterboard meets the metal windows. houses will be worth circa 800k each finished... budgeting too far?
What you mean? A stop bead next too the window ?
I've never ever done that in my life and never even seen it done in any house in most parts of the country I've been .
ive always and always seen it skimmed up to the window reveal ,unless I'm reading you wrong mr John :RpS_biggrin:

we always do it, otherwise you have a crack where two different materials meet,it leaves a nice clean line too,

What you mean? A stop bead next too the window ?
I've never ever done that in my life and never even seen it done in any house in most parts of the country I've been .
ive always and always seen it skimmed up to the window reveal ,unless I'm reading you wrong mr John :RpS_biggrin:

It's a southern thing bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.