Serious Question

Members online

No members online now.

Monkey Boy

I know I don’t really belong on this forum as I’m not a spread and I have been having a good laugh on here. I probably ended up on here due to lockdown in a way plus I wish to know more of the trade so now I got a serious question.
Am gonna s&c render back of my house. don’t ask why - I’ve ended up where I am at and I’ve started so I’ll finish.
Q = You can see I’ve took as much paint off bricks as possible with heat gun so far. Ground a bit of a key in too. Would you just render straight on it as is or no way? Take all paint off with a grinder?
Don’t want to mesh it

56EB310F-EDAF-49D6-B2D5-89E4B7822A74.jpeg
58F02CF2-B791-4F2C-A2D6-B12AA6BBFFD6.jpeg

I might know answer to this . Can you go over that paint with a acrylic primer . Them scratch hp 12 . Or am I miles out

Use a grinder (9inch) with a masonry blade , use it on the flat side , it’ll clean the paint off, very dusty though

I know I don’t really belong on this forum as I’m not a spread and I have been having a good laugh on here. I probably ended up on here due to lockdown in a way plus I wish to know more of the trade so now I got a serious question.
Am gonna s&c render back of my house. don’t ask why - I’ve ended up where I am at and I’ve started so I’ll finish.
Q = You can see I’ve took as much paint off bricks as possible with heat gun so far. Ground a bit of a key in too. Would you just render straight on it as is or no way? Take all paint off with a grinder?
Don’t want to mesh it

View attachment 50077View attachment 50078
You could use a grinder with a wire brush attachment to remove last of paint..
Screenshot_20200606-160324.png

Then apply a slurry made with SBR and cement. Mask everything up as it will stick to anything , as the slurry is turning colour apply a tight coat of sand and cement. A finer sand would work better, I use silver sand. Then bed your beads in level. Allow to cure but not too long , top coat with a weaker mix. Roberts your uncle Fanny's your Aunt.
Screenshot_20200606-160324.png

Could of sand blasted the brickwork & pointed
god damn that a awful render over ok brickwork

your welcome

Don’t want to mesh it

@themucky1 told me to
23St-CbB_400x400.jpg

Could of sand blasted the brickwork & pointed
god damn that a awful render over ok brickwork

your welcome
Could of painted brickwork a brick colour and pointed after?
I bricked that door up and it is crap brickwork, paint on rest of wall would not shift without damaging faces, tar/bitumen flashing immovable from old veranda so went 4render

Mesh it mate.. Im interested to know why you dont want to mesh it? Stick a motherfucking shitload of stainless fixings washered up, give it a splatter coat, scratch coat after, knock down from a 3:1 down in succesive coats it will stay on. Yes its not ideal with the silicon based sticky s**t available but its doable... Its not a job for a non plasterer though i will say, you do need to understand even sand and cement let alone the how and why... The new s**t does have a much better shot at staying put and to be fair to the machine lads... Throwing sil on based stuff on has a far better chance and they prolly gonna be machine boys... Its a big ask to do that old school with eml...
Imo you really are better of modern...

Strip the paint off vote here , just as John as if said with a grinder
Just need the right mind set for a day to do it and a mask and ear plugs

This garden wall was painted , grinded it off

Attachments

• B94ABC43-15B1-48C3-AA3B-4E3A10042340.jpeg
    B94ABC43-15B1-48C3-AA3B-4E3A10042340.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
  • A7D949AD-2457-4F5C-83DC-00D950568785.jpeg
    A7D949AD-2457-4F5C-83DC-00D950568785.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Reactions: Djr
Could of painted brickwork a brick colour and pointed after?
I bricked that door up and it is crap brickwork, paint on rest of wall would not shift without damaging faces, tar/bitumen flashing immovable from old veranda so went 4render
get yourse!f off to a hire shop and get a HILTI needle gun it will be done in no time

Out the window on the 3rd floor to render the shared wall , no scaffolding but it’s a flat roof on the other side ,

Attachments

• D5F87F51-E9F6-4B70-976A-82A6607A64D7.jpeg
    D5F87F51-E9F6-4B70-976A-82A6607A64D7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
Don’t want to mesh it

just do some graft you lazy monkey.

Mesh it mate.. Im interested to know why you dont want to mesh it? Stick a motherfucking shitload of stainless fixings washered up, give it a splatter coat, scratch coat after, knock down from a 3:1 down in succesive coats it will stay on. Yes its not ideal with the silicon based sticky s**t available but its doable... Its not a job for a non plasterer though i will say, you do need to understand even sand and cement let alone the how and why... The new s**t does have a much better shot at staying put and to be fair to the machine lads... Throwing sil on based stuff on has a far better chance and they prolly gonna be machine boys... Its a big ask to do that old school with eml...
Imo you really are better of modern...
Why don’t want mesh..
I got put off reading that it can cause cracking and this is a South facing wall. Plus I’ve since put beads up and started thinking mesh would be three coat work and maybe I’ve not got enough thickness for it. I’ve got 4 sheets of mesh to hand I just fear me (amateur) and mesh will be worse than me and no mesh?

As for your tiling job - stacked all day long imo

You could use a grinder with a wire brush attachment to remove last of paint..View attachment 50083

Then apply a slurry made with SBR and cement. Mask everything up as it will stick to anything , as the slurry is turning colour apply a tight coat of sand and cement. A finer sand would work better, I use silver sand. Then bed your beads in level. Allow to cure but not too long , top coat with a weaker mix. Roberts your uncle Fanny's your Aunt. View attachment 50083
Why you like silver sand over plastering sand?
How long for scratch to cure?
Any lime in the mix?
If not why not or if so why so?
Obviously I’m hungry for knowledge/experience that I don’t have and am trying to gain some breadth in understanding just for doing my own place

This is simple job mate either you use a base coat designed to go over paint e.g parinter do a pull test first or you use a high pressure power washer around 4000PSI to blast that paint off in no time.