Self Sufficent

Members online

kebab king

Private Member
If i had the time and not so many intrests id love to be self sufficent, grow as much as my own as possible and keep my own animals. Grow a few things every year as it is, but not much.
Anyone else into the lifestyle, or fancy having a go.

If i had the time and not so many intrests id love to be self sufficent, grow as much as my own as possible and keep my own animals. Grow a few things every year as it is, but not much.

yup I would love to do that :D

one day hey

I think that growing your own animals would probably not work out terribly efficient but my ole Nan and Grandad grew an awful lot and collected a lot more.

They'd both died before I was really old enough to take any interest in any kind of household finance, but I don't think it took up a huge amount of their time once they were up and running.

I remember potatoes, peas of various kinds, tomatoes, turnips, carrots, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, lettuces, cabbages, apples, pears, rhubarb, blackberries all coming from a pretty modest but perfectly managed back garden. (I think blackberries and rhubarb were picked rather than grown)

There's a lot you can do with a UK garden.

I’ve got broccoli, onions, peas, carrots, parsnips and potatoes on the go at the moment. Planting fruit soon and always have herbs on the go. Putting up solar panels and a little wind turbine for the summer house.
When we move our border a bit we’ll have space for chickens (y)
Im going to look into what it takes to purify rain water too. Anyone else know?

Me.n a mate had a allotment for a year . Grew few onions and a gooseberry bush. Just sat behind shed smoking cigars lol

I' actually setting up to do that now with a view to early retirement in 4 of 5 years. I'e been fascinated by the idea for years but never had the chance till a couple of years back. Bought a couple of acres of neglected land in the lincolnshire fens and now in the process of beating it into shape for growing fruit veg and raising chickens and pigs. If we can supply 85% of our food requirements and buy swap get it barter the rest I will be happy. It's bloody hard work though...not only phyically but mentally as well. Fortunately I got a brilliant Mrs who is happy to roll up hercsoeeves and get her hands dirty working. Last weekend between us we removed over 40 dead or dying trees by hand replanted about 72 new ones to create a small woodland area. This weekend will be path laying and the following hopefully building poly tunnel frames and a greenhouse.

If you ever get the chance....do it.

I' actually setting up to do that now with a view to early retirement in 4 of 5 years. I'e been fascinated by the idea for years but never had the chance till a couple of years back. Bought a couple of acres of neglected land in the lincolnshire fens and now in the process of beating it into shape for growing fruit veg and raising chickens and pigs. If we can supply 85% of our food requirements and buy swap get it barter the rest I will be happy. It's bloody hard work though...not only phyically but mentally as well. Fortunately I got a brilliant Mrs who is happy to roll up hercsoeeves and get her hands dirty working. Last weekend between us we removed over 40 dead or dying trees by hand replanted about 72 new ones to create a small woodland area. This weekend will be path laying and the following hopefully building poly tunnel frames and a greenhouse.

If you ever get the chance....do it.

Good man :D

I have a garden/allotment up the road from where I live and I am struggling to find time to tackle that at the moment :D

Good luck with it :D

My mate does this but not the growing food side, he has ducks, chickens, chicks, and usually has one pig on the go, he has just got some goats he will bread. He loves cooking I had a different curry every evening when I was working at his house, also a couple of sausage and egg sandwiches :) he doesn't wait till the pig is massive he kills it when he runs out of meat :) you need a license to have the pig or something like that so you can get it slaughtered legit. He used to have two and went half with a mate for one each, his mate told the butcher turn the lot into sausages but my mate wanted the lot to cut himself, the butcher said I've put the squeal in the bag :)