self level

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

potatoe

alright geezers. after a few opinions here. i have a floor of which i am levelling out befor tiling. the floor runs a inch or so off level. i am screeding over about half of it to bring it up. do you think i could throw a couple of buckets of self levelling compound on it the same day? i am levelling off a couple of other rooms and really would like to get it done. what do you reaken chaps? think i could get away with it one day? would it crack. effectively i will using self levelling compound over fresh screed.

dont do it it will not bind to the screed as it will be too wet its got to dry first it would be like skimmin over fresh render big no no

a chap i do work for.... wants me to put a self leveling screed in his kitchen which i have recently gutted, to hide the bitumen were the tiles used to be.

any one got and tips. cheers

i'd use flexi... should work though, you can lay flexi over timber flooring...

think its 15 litres to a bag, use the right amount of water, mix a full bag at a shot, soon as its mixed (and i mean AS SOON AS like before its stopped spinning in the bucket) get it on the floor... it settles in the bottom real quick else...
give it a push around with something like an upside down rake (just to help it flow)
and leave it to it..

don't play about with too much, a fat will form on it which won't go off for days.

srite that.. if you never done it before you only need to push it in the corners... let it blend itself together as much as poss.. dont go throwing fresh mix over stuff thats been down 10 minutes either...

just though... isnt it funny how all the best tips are about what 'not' to do rather than the method itself?

another thoought... thinking about the latex over fresh screed thing...
on the bag it says youre supposed to be able to mix it with sand to thicken it up for deeper areas... why not screed? and then if thats the case, why not a bit in the screed, then throw some straight mix over the top...
anway, bout 18 months ago i had this long twisty hallway to do, right mess it was to start with, loads of pits etc..
some of em were quite deep (15mm or so) so in them i chucked a load of silver sand in with the mix (bag said i could :p)...
carried on, looked the bollox as soon as it was done but in the morning the 'pits' that had the silver sand in had all crazed up... solid, still down... didnt like the look of it though...
anyway, few weeks went by and it stayed down ok, loads of traffic too, ended up with that engineered oak flooring (like parquet) on it, took ok...
just wondered if anyone knew owt?

same thing happened to me segs, followed the instructions, put kiln dried sand in it tho, couldn't get silver, had to tile over the top. tapped on the crazed areas but as they didn't sound hollow i preessed on, been down 5 yrs no trouble at all, i was working there a couple of months ago an they're still sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.