SELF EMPLOYMENT

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nvql3 spread

Hi, I'm Kev a 30 year plasterer from the age of 17. I served my time with a good firm with good lads who not only taught me how to plaster but how to earn a living from being a self employed plasterer. Ten years after coming out of my apprenticeship apart from me aging, very little has changed, prices are around the same if not worse, snagging with halogen lights, the if you don't like it f##k off attitude, apprentices well I haven't seen a lad from college for four years and he only lasted six months before realising it wasn't for him and got himself a job in jaguar on the line, I thought he was mad giving up a trade to work in a factory. I bumped into him over the Christmas break he's doing well, very well I should add. After talking to him for a short while I walked away thinking am I the mad one for thinking things will improve in construction, but in reality the more sites I work on the worse it seems to be getting. Will it ever improve? Is self employment the benifit It once was or is it now a way of being able to pay you whatever they like without giving you any of the benefits of being PAYE.

Yes I agree but if your a self employed worker who has worked for the same company for years and he's never tried to take you on paye more fool you.....and there is a lot out there.

just my view
Self Employment- there are those in this trade & other trades , where although they are self employed , this is for the benefit of the company you work for , they set the rates , etc
There is Self Employment where you generate your own work (whichever work or trade that is) , on your own terms & pricing , this type of self employment is more beneficial for you ,

Hi, I'm Kev a 30 year plasterer from the age of 17. I served my time with a good firm with good lads who not only taught me how to plaster but how to earn a living from being a self employed plasterer. Ten years after coming out of my apprenticeship apart from me aging, very little has changed, prices are around the same if not worse, snagging with halogen lights, the if you don't like it f##k off attitude, apprentices well I haven't seen a lad from college for four years and he only lasted six months before realising it wasn't for him and got himself a job in jaguar on the line, I thought he was mad giving up a trade to work in a factory. I bumped into him over the Christmas break he's doing well, very well I should add. After talking to him for a short while I walked away thinking am I the mad one for thinking things will improve in construction, but in reality the more sites I work on the worse it seems to be getting. Will it ever improve? Is self employment the benifit It once was or is it now a way of being able to pay you whatever they like without giving you any of the benefits of being PAYE.

Do u make more money then the bloke u used to work with.

Going ltd might have to be the next step forward we do a mixture of our own work which is great but the odd sub contracting job makes you realise how dated some of these firms pricing are. Walking off £4m2 skimming to £2.20 minus windows and doors is a reality check.

Last edited:
Yeh I was an 3rd year apprentice on £117.00 a week then he told me when I come out of my time I'd have to go self employed.

As Danny said u totally get out of plastering wat u put in some times uve got to take risks etc or you can just plod along working for average prices for rest of ur days we only went ltd because there's 2 of us who own business so its easier but If you are a sole owner I dnt think ltd is best option personally

I made a tonne of money working for £25 an hour for a housing association while I had others doing my private work :D good steady wage and an endless supply of materials :D

But it takes all sorts I will see a gap to make some extra money and I am on it like rash, thats just me though

I wudnt change being self employed ye there's dangers like but so Is being employed I cudnt think of owt worse me in a clocking on and off job f**k that I'm not programmed to have a boss

I've been a subbie a long time always found it an advantage been offered PAYE many times but it's only been offered as leverage to do what they want , when they want, how they want and if I didn't like a job wouldn't need to be told to f**k off I'd already be gone

f**k the 9-5 for some other c**t telling ya what to do year round. Its OK when work is dry but fcuk doing it year round. SE has its downfalls but also has its benefit's that outweigh them.

Being self-employed is great if you work for yourself, but if you work for someone as self-employed it can be a nightmare. Cis for example, if they don't pay it, then you'll have to settle it. Only advantage the main contractor got, they can let you go with no warning and no consequences. I never met a plasterer on paye yet.

Is there any of the older generation on here who have maybe watched there friends work a factory job or similar all the lives but are starting to retire with a nice pay out and pension. I like to know there views on self employment.

I am absolutely unemployable now... I will do whatever it takes to be fair so if I need to go get a "Job" then I will but I will have to be in tight spot for that to happen :D

Is there any of the older generation on here who have maybe watched there friends work a factory job or similar all the lives but are starting to retire with a nice pay out and pension. I like to know there views on self employment.
Mate of mine just retired at 55, he was working in a cheesecake factory as h&s 9-5, had a nice pension pot, sold everything back in September and moved to south of France he's waiting on the completion of their brand new house.

Being self-employed is great if you work for yourself, but if you work for someone as self-employed it can be a nightmare. Cis for example, if they don't pay it, then you'll have to settle it. Only advantage the main contractor got, they can let you go with no warning and no consequences. I never met a plasterer on paye yet.
We've had a couple of issues in cis tax been paid as were not sure if has accountant said dont worry about It as all ours has been paid into bank with tax been taken off but how do we know its been paid but if it came to point where It hasn't been paid we would just give revenue all there details etc only a couple of firms where we rnt sure if tax been paid or not

I cnt c a factory woller having a nice pay off n pension tbh pal

Is there any of the older generation on here who have maybe watched there friends work a factorfey job or similar all the lives but are starting to retire with a nice pay out and pension. I like to know there views on self employment.
Yes, I have a few friends working in a factory, workshops,30 k + good pension pot and far easier life than us ready to retire.but at the end of the day they will be winners and losers.our trade is tough old game.you certainly have days we're you say what the f*** am I doing this for.:rolleyes:

Yes, I have a few friends working in a factory, workshops,30 k + good pension pot and far easier life than us ready to retire.but at the end of the day they will be winners and losers.our trade is tough old game.you certainly have days we're you say what the f*** am I doing this for.:rolleyes:

Today was one of those days[emoji15]

i went employed in about 2012 with a rendering firm and lasted 2-3 months.

i just couldn't do it to be honest and went straight back self employed.

you have to make your own pension in this game, buy a second property and that will be a nice pension later in life.

We've had a couple of issues in cis tax been paid as were not sure if has accountant said dont worry about It as all ours has been paid into bank with tax been taken off but how do we know its been paid but if it came to point where It hasn't been paid we would just give revenue all there details etc only a couple of firms where we rnt sure if tax been paid or not

If you gave them your UTR details you should be verified by them and they'll have a verification number. Call their office to confirm it was done? If they've not sorted your bill and paid you by BT they'd be very silly as their legally obliged to sort your tax (assuming ur both in the CIS scheme)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you gave them your UTR details you should be verified by them and they'll have a verification number. Call their office to confirm it was done? If they've not sorted your bill and paid you by BT they'd be very silly as their legally obliged to sort your tax (assuming ur both in the CIS scheme)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it came to it id glady sit in revenues office with every1 involved just a couple of jobs we rnt sure on and still waiting on our business tax rebate as we've paid cis tax on quite a few jobs which we shudnt really pay as we are ltd so we pay corporation tax at 21% so we get every penny of cis tax paid bk but filed accounts in may and still waiting for money back but accounts said dont worry it will be them that get f**k*d not us

i have been self employed since the late 1960s. you need to paddle your own canoe.

do not take on sub contract work either for a builder or plastering co. you will earn peanuts and be left with no contacts for when work gets tight again. you will be stopped 20% tax, purchase your own vehicle and running costs you will be left trying to make ends meet on 3 days wages.

do not make a purchase anything with a deed of ownership ie property for rent you will attract 28% capital gains tax.

do not register for vat as this will cost you a lot of work.

do not work on the paye system in the construction industry, they will treat you as a monkeys pratt !

i have been self employed since the late 1960s. you need to paddle your own canoe.

do not take on sub contract work either for a builder or plastering co. you will earn peanuts and be left with no contacts for when work gets tight again. you will be stopped 20% tax, purchase your own vehicle and running costs you will be left trying to make ends meet on 3 days wages.

do not make a purchase anything with a deed of ownership ie property for rent you will attract 28% capital gains tax.

do not work on the paye system in the construction industry, they will treat you as a monkeys pratt !
Owt left lol!?

Makes me laugh wen builders/contractors make out asif there skint and prices r tight etc then turn up in a Bentley I kid u not must think were f**k**g stupid

i had that over the christmas holiday, a multi millionaire phoned me early in the morning, what are you doing he asked, in bed i answered, well get round here he replied, i purchased a house 2 weeks ago and i need to have it rented out by the end of the month. i want the kitchen and bathroom sorted out.

the wife says i must pay you before you start, can you do it any cheaper? he asks? no, you will only waste it on drink i answer. paid in full, leave your son to do the work and come up the pub with me.

Is that advise or a complaint cos I think I'm doing everything wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.