Self employed course fees

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. My course is costing me almost 2k incl Vat.

I haven't been self employed long so I'm not entirely sure how it works with claiming money back when I do my tax return next year. Will I get much of my course fee back? Most of it or just the vat I would have paid on it?

:RpS_thumbup:

@BetterTAX will be able to help more on this :) But you dont get it back as such you just dont pay tax on it :) ie you offset it against your profits :)

Danny

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. My course is costing me almost 2k incl Vat.

I haven't been self employed long so I'm not entirely sure how it works with claiming money back when I do my tax return next year. Will I get much of my course fee back? Most of it or just the vat I would have paid on it?

:RpS_thumbup:

A plastering course for nearly 2 grand? :-0

I'm reading that as a course about being self-employed :RpS_confused:

I do hope I'm wrong.......

think he's on about the speedskim, spat & sponge course..................:RpS_thumbup:

Not too sure if the revenue will treat the course as an expense for your business, as they will assume, if you're in the plastering business then you are automatically in the know as to how to carry out plastering business in the first place!, and therefore can't claim it as justifiable expenditure.

It will be tax allowable as it is a business expense (presuming this course is for your self employed profession) . Claim the vat back if you are vat reg if not then declare the whole invoice value against tax in your return.

Bear in mind the words tax allowable or allowable against tax. You won't get your money back but the invoice value will lower your taxable profits.

I claim for everything. Just bought a camcorder and I will be using that only for business so in the books it went. Same with my SLR camera. Sod the C&R, they it take off the grafters and give it to the scroungers but when you want to claim they show you the door! I have had two operations which I needed in my winter shut down period. Paid for both! What do I pay my NI for?

When it comes to course fees, HMRC make it as difficult as possible - well actually when it comes to anything! If this course is a change of profession course, then I think it's not an allowable expense. If it's a course that is an "investment" so to speak, then it is a business expense. And yes, that means it is a deductable amount from income so that your overall tax bill is lowered.

If you are self employed (and PAYE actually) just get into good habits of keeping ALL your receipts/ bank statements etc (as SE you need to keep for 6 years anyway) so that you can claim back for all rightful expenditure - don't give HMRC any cause to question your tax return.

You with ya cam corder and camera - just make sure you can prove it's absolutely only for business use!

If you have any concerns at all, give the office a quick call. Our advice is always free, client or not :RpS_thumbup:.

(thanks for shout-out, @Danny!

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to course fees, HMRC make it as difficult as possible - well actually when it comes to anything! If this course is a change of profession course, then I think it's not an allowable expense. If it's a course that is an "investment" so to speak, then it is a business expense. And yes, that means it is a deductable amount from income so that your overall tax bill is lowered.

If you are self employed (and PAYE actually) just get into good habits of keeping ALL your receipts/ bank statements etc (as SE you need to keep for 6 years anyway) so that you can claim back for all rightful expenditure - don't give HMRC any cause to question your tax return.

You with ya cam corder and camera - just make sure you can prove it's absolutely only for business use!

If you have any concerns at all, give the office a quick call. Our advice is always free, client or not :RpS_thumbup:.

(thanks for shout-out, @Danny!

You sound like you've caught a perv filming your mrs

'Hey you. With the camera! I can see you in the trees you know!

Last edited by a moderator:
you has a name! And yes if you look at the photo's on the memory card it is all business.

Status
Not open for further replies.