Second Skim coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBR

Hi guys. Would appreciate some advice please. When skimming you put on a first coat approx 2 mm thick then you wait till it gets putty like before flattening out all the high marks above 1mm. Hope I am correct to this point. Now my question is, does it matter if that 1st coat is dry before you put on the 2nd coat of multi or should the 1st coat still be a putty like consistency?
All help ( on topic ) greatly appreciated.

Your skimming so forget about depths and levels, your only making the walls smooth not level.
First coat around 2mm then depending on suction let it pick up a bit, flatten and then second coat straight away. This only needs to be a tight coat.
Then flatten and trowel as it sets

Think the bg spec now is only 2mm combined... but don't know anybody that actually measures the depth

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As long as you don't try putting on more on than you can comfortably finish the first coat won't dry before the second coat is applied

But does it matter if the 1st coat has dried before getting 2nd coat on?

Yes! You need to be able to to get the 2nd coat so that it becomes part of the 1st coat still if that makes sense.
If the first is to dry the second won't be fun putting on.

Sponging skim coats screams "bengal dancer" to me !?? As for @BritishGypsum 2mm ffs what about reskims??? Plus as another spread has pointed out how about building out to skim beads? Gggrrrrrr :cachetada:
1 coat then sponge?

The only reason to be doing that is if you're on s**t money.

Was tongue in cheek because another bengal dancer is asking for tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.