second coat of multifinish

longReach

Hi,
I skimmed a wall with multifinish, but there's a slight hollow. It's my fault. I never made it flat enough.

Two weeks later I pva'd and let it dry overnight. Then I pva'd before applying a layer of multifinish to fill the hollow. It looked good, but within a few minutes of applying the scratch coat cracks appeared. I scraped it off.

Do I have to wait longer?

What do I need to do to prepare the wall for another coat of multifinish?

I'm just DIY.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave, about three weeks and four days is optimum time but a few hours either way should be fine.
A fine mixture of japanese breadcrumbs and sour milk with a dash of salsa would make a good filler to prep wall. let us know how it goes?

Hi,
I skimmed a wall with multifinish, but there's a slight hollow. It's my fault. I never made it flat enough.

Two weeks later I pva'd and let it dry overnight. Then I pva'd before applying a layer of multifinish to fill the hollow. It looked good, but within a few minutes of applying the scratch coat cracks appeared. I scraped it off.

I'm just DIY.

Thanks,
Dave
PVA should be able to hold the suction back , helps if your room is cool , not draughty

Hi Dave, about three weeks and four days is optimum time but a few hours either way should be fine.
A fine mixture of japanese breadcrumbs and sour milk with a dash of salsa would make a good filler to prep wall. let us know how it goes?
Shame on the Bully ! :chica:

Hi,

I'm just DIY.

Thanks,
Dave
Best thing to do is give it a couple of coats emulsion then pva and skim. Fresh plaster is very absorbent and being a diyer it will dry out too fast going over it. Also be prepared for posts from the ‘experts’ telling you your a cheapskate and you should be employing a proper plasterer like them. They get very touchy when anyone dares try to do anything for themselves, took them years to learn you know.

Best thing to do is give it a couple of coats emulsion then pva and skim. Fresh plaster is very absorbent and being a diyer it will dry out too fast going over it. Also be prepared for posts from the ‘experts’ telling you your a cheapskate and you should be employing a proper plasterer like them. They get very touchy when anyone dares try to do anything for themselves, took them years to learn you know.
I love it when people have a go , great fun and a handy skill to pick up , we only learn from mistakes in life , its no threat to a spread so I don't understand it either mate

Hi,

I'm just DIY.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave the answer will come tomorrow :LOL: D

Hi,

I'm just DIY.

Thanks,
Dave
It would be better if you post some pictures!

I didn't take a photographs. I should have.

The room is not particularly hot or cold.

So, it's either more PVA, diluted I presume? Or some emulsion and then more PVA.

Thanks to those who have helped so far.

My last post is awaiting approval. I have not vanished.
Busy having fun on other posts lol
From what I remember you skimmed no problem but have a dip you PVA d and tried to fill , it crazed from suction , you scraped off ,
PVA (bnq/ wickes ) 4:1 , leave an hr , then 2:1 straight on with finish or bonding if its thick , allow bonding to dry out completely , next day or two PVA same again but two wet coats before 2:1 and skim long winded but safer procedure for diy

Busy having fun on other posts lol
From what I remember you skimmed no problem but have a dip you PVA d and tried to fill , it crazed from suction , you scraped off ,
PVA (bnq/ wickes ) 4:1 , leave an hr , then 2:1 straight on with finish or bonding if its thick , allow bonding to dry out completely , next day or two PVA same again but two wet coats before 2:1 and skim long winded but safer procedure for diy
You ever get any work done. Lol