Seaside mix

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it would boil down to the additives in the mixes that would help?? To combat the salt in the atmosphere on these coastal towns. Roughcast is one of the most durable exterior finishes there is!?? I've seen plenty of houses on the sea front at Lytham and Blackpool that are still going well after years and years. I don't trust some of these modern render systems for longetivity?? Time will prove me wrong perhaps ?? :RpS_confused:

This is a new house built in 1984 which is already rendered which is failing in a spectacular fashion!

Why's it failed? That's the first thing you need to establish.
You don't see many seaside houses that aren't painted, just get sand and cement on:RpS_thumbup:

Why's it failed? That's the first thing you need to establish.
You don't see many seaside houses that aren't painted, just get sand and cement on:RpS_thumbup:

Quite true - they are all painted (Ballymory springs to mind!!)
Lots of horizontal cracks either side of patio door
one big vertical crack from top of patio door up to window!!

Quite true - they are all painted (Ballymory springs to mind!!)
Lots of horizontal cracks either side of patio door
one big vertical crack from top of patio door up to window!!
Was the patio door put in afterward?? Was not origionaly part of the house? That would explain the cracks??

I thought it would boil down to the additives in the mixes that would help?? To combat the salt in the atmosphere on these coastal towns. Roughcast is one of the most durable exterior finishes there is!?? I've seen plenty of houses on the sea front at Lytham and Blackpool that are still going well after years and years. I don't trust some of these modern render systems for longetivity?? Time will prove me wrong perhaps ?? :RpS_confused:
Marshy what additives would you add to repel salty moisture?

Marshy what additives would you add to repel salty moisture?
A lot of products on the market these days that control the salts which occur in renders. Sounds daft but you won't get rid of the salt but these additives help neutrilise the "bad" salts and stop them flaring up on the surface of your finish. I've used salt inhibitor from Peter Cox and Permaguard on some old houses where salt was a big problem (internal tho) and used in exterior render but was a different brand. Touch wood no probs and been on few years??

its not just the salt that is a problem but the damp air (sea mist etc)a weaker mix lets the moisture drain out easier,, dry quicker

the painting is just as important if not more so,,,down this way all the old listed buildings are painted every few years

Was the patio door put in afterward?? Was not origionaly part of the house? That would explain the cracks??

The house was built with patio door but it's been replaced. It looks like it has been fitted too far in the reveal and the cavity covered with a 3" wide plastic trim.
It seems to let in water. That's one of my jobs to remove and re-fit the patio door.
The top of the door does not have a drip verge. Instead it has a plank of wood with a drip verge cut in the bottom. It would appear that it has let water drip back to the wall and compromised the concrete/wooden/steal lintel. I will need to fit a new lintel if needed and poss' resin the crack.
The horizontal cracks maybe a wall tie issue??

The house was built with patio door but it's been replaced. It looks like it has been fitted too far in the reveal and the cavity covered with a 3" wide plastic trim.
It seems to let in water. That's one of my jobs to remove and re-fit the patio door.
The top of the door does not have a drip verge. Instead it has a plank of wood with a drip verge cut in the bottom. It would appear that it has let water drip back to the wall and compromised the concrete/wooden/steal lintel. I will need to fit a new lintel if needed and poss' resin the crack.
I've just had a look at the patio door and got stuck! When are you on site pal??
attachment.php

Pvc window fitters cause more problems to render then anything else. I live on the seaside and pebble dashed , rendering s+c with no problem and here we get winds from the east and Northerly blast . and looking at jobs 20yrs ago little tired looking but still doing the job.
Try thermocromex really good gear to use and you have the pump even more easy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.