Seaside mix

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
May finally have a job but the weather is being a bitch!!!

Anyway this house is south facing right on the beach with a road in between. High tide means the sea is the road width away.
Not done one this close to the salty sea before.
Any special mix I should consider - (Trad S & C)
I know some salt sea area's have 3 coats???

Bet one of the coastal lads will have an idea?? @Olican @Dansouthcoast etc I've done a fair bit round Lytham &Fylde coast and used a salt retarder in my mixes but think these other lads may have better ideas?? :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a wind up :RpS_scared:

But its a question that I have never heard before :) Will be good to know :)

Danny

I know the area ,as you say should be ok there , has it been rendered before ?or is it face work

I've rendered several houses in the area that are about 10 metres (a couple less so) from the sea. All done silver sand, 4:1. PVC beads is a must and never nail them on, always stick.

Some of the homes in this part of kent have a smooth almost gloss brick , so i would renaid first ,and if it has the old render on it ,it,s a sod to get of :RpS_crying: , i don,t do s/c anymore ,just mono ,but alot of the lads mix washed plastering with building sand ,be it right or wrong

Some of the homes in this part of kent have a smooth almost gloss brick , so i would renaid first ,and if it has the old render on it ,it,s a sod to get of :RpS_crying: , i don,t do s/c anymore ,just mono ,but alot of the lads mix washed plastering with building sand ,be it right or wrong

This is a new house built in 1984 which is already rendered which is failing in a spectacular fashion!

@Dansouthcoast why silicone pal?? I've seen plenty of that crap fail in the countryside with no coastal elements to worry about?? I'm not having a go mate I just want to know why some people swear by it and from what I've seen for myself? Looks shite and discolours in no time at all?? Yes we can blame who applied it but surely not every job I've seen?? :RpS_confused:

Right It's made by Weber. Used some of that stuff a couple of years ago with Mark Ross.
Are you talking all rendaid
or scratch with it?

@Dansouthcoast why silicone pal?? I've seen plenty of that crap fail in the countryside with no coastal elements to worry about?? I'm not having a go mate I just want to know why some people swear by it and from what I've seen for myself? Looks shite and discolours in no time at all?? Yes we can blame who applied it but surely not every job I've seen?? :RpS_confused:

I wouldnt say i swear by it. But the sand cement blows alot of the time. Any render will discolour. Sand cement will be painted alot

Ive re rendered 4 houses in last year on seafront that has had sand cement and it falls off mate
Right but I'm not keen on the silicone stuff. Everywhere I see it it has gone all blotchy or its like it hasn't cured properly when you brush it (bits come off) :RpS_confused:

south facing I would be thinking more about the sun cooking your render, why dont you think about a nhl mix .

Right but I'm not keen on the silicone stuff. Everywhere I see it it has gone all blotchy or its like it hasn't cured properly when you brush it (bits come off) :RpS_confused:

I see that aswell with the scratch renders. People dont brush it down when theyve finished scraping back

south facing I would be thinking more about the sun cooking your render, why dont you think about a nhl mix .

Sounds like not a bad idea but never used that stuff before. Touched on hydrated stuff with not much luck. Also, it's a terrace so I've got to angle grind two straight lines down each a joining property. Would lime render inbetween two S & C work?

You need something for high exposure whatever it is make sure it's thick if it were sand cement 20mm would be good or rough cast or a very heavy tryolean, forget nhl hydrated limes a plasterciser and south facing makes **** all difference

You could ring SAS Europe technical for their advice. They must supply to a few on the South coast being in Exeter. Prob their prep coat then their float coat. Nice stuff but mesh is pricy.

We have done a few on the waterfront here, it's 3coat work imo 20-23mm total thickness. As usual have the coats getting progessively thinner and weaker as you work your way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.