Sealing render

Members online

PlasterCraftDundee

So I'm about to buy a new house which has been rendered with k rend I believe. I highly doubt it's been sealed and I've noticed a few houses already have some staining appearing in earlier phases. We get the keys end of September so by that time it will have been rendered for about 4 or 5 months. I was wondering if it would be worth my while applying a sealer to it once we move in?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So I'm about to buy a new house which has been rendered with k rend I believe. I highly doubt it's been sealed and I've noticed a few houses already have some staining appearing in earlier phases. We get the keys end of September so by that time it will have been rendered for about 4 or 5 months. I was wondering if it would be worth my while applying a sealer to it once we move in?

@K Rend

I'd say definitely! Should by rights still be looking good so seal it before it starts to go downhill. Well worth the effort.

So my next question is what's the best sealer and do you just apply it with a spray pump?

Some use everbuild but in my personal opinion Stormdry is above and beyond the best sealer there is. It's soaks right into the render and has a 25 years guarantee. Some cheaper sealers sit on the surface and erode over time.

Rendit do a decent one. But price wise everbuild is decent. Just use a fence sprayer. I used to use a great one from kingfisher called extreme climate but it's canny pricey it's only one coat application though

I tested spraying over rolling on my last job and its rolling every time for me now. 2 coats if possible on your own place.

Cheers guys not worried about cost as it's my own property. Does anyone rate the likes ok vimark or parex sealer

Why rolling?

I sprayed a panel with 2 coats and rolled 2 coats on another . The next day I turned the hose on them and the rollered wall was far more water resistant. It takes a lot more gear but its a better job imo .

I sprayed a panel with 2 coats and rolled 2 coats on another . The next day I turned the hose on them and the rollered wall was far more water resistant. It takes a lot more gear but its a better job imo .
You did not apply enough when spraying then, your meant to work bottom up flood coating the wall so it's saturating.

You did not apply enough when spraying then, your meant to work bottom up flood coating the wall so it's saturating.

You're probably right mate , I still think I'll stick to my roller though working up like you spray .

I prefer rolling... I went through a stage of spraying PVA on but the coverage was not as good and took just as long... so I kinder get what you mean :D