Sealing Artex Ceiling

Members online

JanetMc

Hi, I’ve got problems with my ceilings, they were not “sealed” and when a wet paint bush is applied the artex peels off. Can anyone advise how I deal to paint ceiling? The problem was reported to council after I purchased house and they say not liable for “cosmetic “ defects even though they knew about problem with the ceilings before I purchased!!

First thing to do. Get some smart trainers. Then apply watered down pva two coats to all ceilings paint when dry .good luck.

Try a coat of zinsser gardz to seal... Some contract artex had no body to it and is soft. Paint don't stick and the artex goes soft. If you can get the sealer on it will harden it up..

This sounds like paint peeling on top of the artex?
As mixerman suggests but brush loose off first with stiff brush .mix one part pva to four water and apply with large paintbrush not roller.
Let dry and paint as normal.
(WEAR MASK)

You can't emulsion over pva. Gee. Some get away with sealing surfaces if they use waterproof pva but if you use plastering pva as a sealer it's going to craze when you emulsion

You can't emulsion over pva. Gee. Some get away with sealing surfaces if they use waterproof pva but if you use plastering pva as a sealer it's going to craze when you emulsion
not if you use mist coat first? also pva is watered down, i have done it many times.