sealing a ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimplas1

evening guys just want to pick your brains..... i have some artexed ceiling to skim and did the 1st one today and struggled to seal it... i soaked it with 3 coats of pva but this was drying in minutes , got the 1st coat of skim on it in 8 mins but had to scrub it with my splash brush to get the lines out of it...... 2nd coat was a little better but still dried quickly. one of the ceilings is large so dont want to get caught out, ive tried and failed to get hold of some gyp prime and have done a search on sbr but dont know if to chance it or not ??

I had a job not long a go and sum cheeky artexer how ever many years ago had went straight on top of paper and 2 weeks later it all come down , bonding and skim still stuck to the artex and the paper behind that , plasterers pre grit works well ! Dangerous really if somebody had been in the room or it had been finished . Luckily it was a pals house and well the speed of the job wasnt to fast ....... They done it downstairs on one so i had to overboard it for him as was just skimming it . what a nitemare ..... For me pal haha

The artex has been painted but is still sucking, doesn't want overboard as there is coving ... would normally walk away but this guy provides us with a lot of work and it's in is own gaff

i have used artex sealer on another job but it worried me as i put it on 2 days before i was skimming and then pva'd just before so i could go on it tacky but when i touched it with my hand the sealer came off onto my fingers.....

Artex sealer mate I use but always use to coats and it controls suction not a problem. However if you really are not sure, then use pre grit can't go wrong.

i have used artex sealer on another job but it worried me as i put it on 2 days before i was skimming and then pva'd just before so i could go on it tacky but when i touched it with my hand the sealer came off onto my fingers.....

If its matt emulsion, I go with stabiliser first..or if its silk grit it. No guarantee given for bond of artex to original lid tho.:RpS_thumbup:...
is the artex a heavy pattern or light stipple thing?

the house is about 15 yr old, plasterboard ceilings but the swirl is heavier than most new builds... ive used pre grit before on many job but dont find it seals that well. the pva is sika.

Artex Sealer......................WTF is that for , like...............................:RpS_confused: @Fatarm

Its for erm, eh, well...........artex...makes a pattern like a seal.....kinda like a stipple brush or comb.:RpS_unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
The artex has been painted but is still sucking, doesn't want overboard as there is coving ... would normally walk away but this guy provides us with a lot of work and it's in is own gaff

all the more reason to do a proper job!!!

explain if the suction is that agresive its almost definetley going to craze/maybe fail...

under lat with slate lat re board and over cove...or remove cove reboard and recove

Blue grit controls the suction for me fine. The green plasprime doesn't in my experience. Artex sealer is your best bet. Or get another spread to help you

any thoughts on giving it a coat of sbr , leave it over night then skimming with uni-finish.. i know sbr is supposed to kill the suction and uni is supposed to ok for low suction ?

A mate of mine used zinnser Gardz sealer on a artex ceiling that was artexed, and it was brilliant stuff, it was touch dry in about 40 mins and rock hard in 4hrs.
it is meant for the decorating trade to seal in problem surfaces that cause suction or porous/flaky issues.
the only fly in the ointment is , it's a bit dear to buy but the saving is made buy it's easy to apply and you only need one coat of the stuff.

https://www.trade1st.co.uk/zinsser-gardz-sealer-2-5lt?gclid=COaN5Z-WpcQCFS3LtAodYEcAYA#

Or you could scrape it off lol :RpS_biggrin:
This ceiling the other week looked & felt solid, just goes to show eh. :RpS_unsure:

Or you could scrape it off lol :RpS_biggrin:
This ceiling the other week looked & felt solid, just goes to show eh. :RpS_unsure:

Liar liar, pants on fire!

I told you that the ceiling would need prepping before you artexed it. Did you listen? Oh no, you knew best. "Just slap it on, the dusty plaster won't be a problem."

I told you that the ceiling would need prepping before you artexed it. Did you listen? Oh no, you knew best. "Just slap it on, the dusty plaster won't be a problem."

Did u have a hand in this one Nisus ? Bloke said plasterer had ice cream all down his top and wouldn't come back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 533

Thats how they taught me at Goldcomb on my 2 day Artex course :rolleyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.