Seal pink gypsum and NOT paint it

Julian Baker

Hi

I'm not a plasterer. I've had my flat replastered and I really like the pink mottled plaster look, reminds me of holidays in Italy, and I want to leave it as it is.

But I'm aware that it marks and any grease, even from hands, will blemish it. So it needs sealing, ideally so it can be washed every now and then with warm soapy water.

Should I use a watered down PVA – just to repeat and make sure – I DO NOT WANT TO PAINT IT AFTER ; )

Plus points for something that is shiny / slightly shiny. Or a sealant we can apply a polish/varnish to afterwards. (If I could have afforded it I would have had polished Venetian plaster but I'm not a millionaire!)

I used to eat in a good Chinese restaurant in Wimbledon that had a sealed plaster finish , looked pretty good really .

Just done a house n they painted it plaster colour . At first I though wow that's dried perfect then saw they still needed to cut in round ceiling

Not sure if they ship to UK but briwax works great.

https://briwaxonline.com/product-category/waxes-more/waxes/briwax-original/

I just finished a job and sealed it with the dark brown briwax mixed with clear. I'll attach a picture below.

I've had good success with clear briwax if I don't want to change the color. Make sure to use a respirator when you apply it since the fumes can be rather strong.

Attachments

• 20170721_103048.jpg
    20170721_103048.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 967
  • 20170721_103145.jpg
    20170721_103145.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 954
Not sure if they ship to UK but briwax works great.

https://briwaxonline.com/product-category/waxes-more/waxes/briwax-original/

I just finished a job and sealed it with the dark brown briwax mixed with clear. I'll attach a picture below.

I've had good success with clear briwax if I don't want to change the color. Make sure to use a respirator when you apply it since the fumes can be rather strong.

think you can get that here... venetian plasterers use it I think @RobJack

I've it used briwax before. There are plenty of sealers and waxes knocking about though. Easiest option would be off the shelf Thompson's water sealer (as mentioned) then if you want it shinier sponge on some was and buff up accordingly. A natural parrafin was would be ok. Buff up with lambswool. Much easier with a mechanical buffer rather than by hand

I've used guardz to repair damaged board before. It leaves a semi-gloss to high gloss finish but in my experience I wouldn't consider it on a finished surface. You would not be able to buff it any since it's not really that type of a finish. If you're really curious try a small area to make sure you like it before committing to the whole area. (that goes for anything you decide though)

Looks perfect @Heritage Plasters any tips on application? Thank you

The wax will turn to liquid as it gets warm but that won't change how it works, just be prepared. Use a clean cloth and rub it on in circular motions and then you can buff it to your desired shine after a few minutes. You can use a mechanical buffer if you like but it isn't necessary. In the pictures I shared before it was all done by hand.

Hi Julian, how did you get on? Which product did you go for in the end?

We are looking to do the exact same thing... but in our kitchen. I know the thistle multi finish gypsum plaster was applied and have purchased some natural bees wax to try out on a small patch - thinking this could mimic the Moroccan technique of 'TADELAKT'.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!!

Natural terricota which is a dulux colour maybe an option or just seal the plaster with zinsser gardz.. Don't put Pva on.. That's sabotage

Warner’s, the only pot of Zinsser Gardz we have found locally is ‘white tintable’. Will this apply a color onto the wall at all?

I mail order gardz although brewers stock it but price from trade centre may be a shock. 5lt is around £35 online

No... UK... and to make it more challenging we’re on a tiny rock ‘Jersey Channel Islands’.

Ok thanks, have a look at Mike wye associates as they have natural breathable clear sealants/ waxes etc. They supply and are knowledgable regarding tadelakt too.