Scrim tape

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Have seen on some vids scrim tape that looks like a masking tape. Not the mesh type i normally use. Whats the difference

Stick to scrim. Been caught out with the other tape. Had a couple of air bubles which I had to cut out with a stanley half way through skimming.

When I started we used hessian........................ its about a foot thick and a f*ckin nightmare.

lewisricekrispy said:
Encountered that stuff before. Used it when doing fiborus at college. Always showed through. Me and fiborus don't speak anymore
that's your firstings not thick enough or not picking up enough.

windy said:
Have seen on some vids scrim tape that looks like a masking tape. Not the mesh type i normally use. Whats the difference
yeah sounds like paper tape.you have to bed it down on to filler/finish then flatten it so all gear is pushed out from under it,where as fibre tape is self adhesive.
I recall BG tech data says it was 50% (or something) less likely to crack,though i reckon if a joint wants to crack it'll do it what ever you put on it as it probably down to movement.

where i have an account at sheffins, they have silver scrim. hadnt seen any for years. started using it again and its much better i think. and its only about £3+vat

why no matter what brand of scrim i buy ,why do the funking edges always fray (end up with a hoop of the stuff)????

martin

martinemj said:
why no matter what brand of scrim i buy ,why do the funking edges always fray (end up with a hoop of the stuff)????

easy solution to that one. just get your stanley out an cut a mm or to down from the centre to the radius. Do it a few times on each side just like a mercedes sign. No hoops, but you'll get little bits falling off, which on reflection aint too bad

can someone please tell me why tape and joint uses paper tape and skimming uses scrim tape...
tony?

easy solution to that one. just get your stanley out an cut a mm or to down from the centre to the radius. Do it a few times on each side just like a mercedes sign. No hoops, but you'll get little bits falling off, which on reflection aint too bad

I believe that tip was originally given by Bruce willis .

its paper tape wet & stick contractors use it a lot on new builds on internal corners it stops cracking if used properly dont get bubbles :RpS_wink:

chris w artexers use paper tape because when artex starts drying out it shrinks back ,more than plaster, if you caulk over fibre tape it will crack with in a day or two

Status
Not open for further replies.