Scribing render

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

when is the best time to scribe into sand and cement render? during rubbing up or later? got a job coming up where i've got to cut 'blocks' into it (only lightly) never done it before..

cheers boys

anyway.. i'd say 'float up' was too early, depending on how quick its going off and day after is way too late..
id guess at 'grainy' stage.. post floated but still green, hopefully wont come away in chunks but if it does you stand a chance of repairing it..
church is yer man here though..

you can do it when its hard if you want,then there no pressure .i got shown this in the states where it went white as you put it on it was that hot,anyway break a stone cutting disk in half rub on something to flattern jagged bits (from breaking in half) and rub along straight edge on wall, this will cut into render very easily.if its too thin liquid nail other halfs on untill you get to desired thickness becarefull not too mess up tho as its harder to patch this way

im not quite sure what you mean by scribing out ? running a pointing trowel size line is easy but if you want a more detailed looking joint that's a different thing

Pug said:
when is the best time to scribe into sand and cement render? during rubbing up or later? got a job coming up where i've got to cut 'blocks' into it (only lightly) never done it before..

cheers boys
try it when you cant push your finger into the render, could be a long day mate, it was for me, used a 6inch nail, bent over to form a shallow u shape

thats what it is church (pointing trowel size line), don't know about timing is all, thats why i like rockhards method.

ive used the old 15mm copper tube with a bend in it before today... like the stone disc idea though for deep square joints... might even borrow that idea for the flexi quick brick.. ;D

One of my joint cutting tools would have been perfect, try this. Hopefully you can get your hands on a piece of brick/block banding steel or similar cut it to about 100mm bend it centrally over a 10mm drill bit, get a piece of brush handle 300mm cut in two slots to the vertical, slide in ends of banding and tape it up. Perfect joint cutting tool.

yep used to use banding steel to cut nice expansion joints works well except you HAVE to do it at the right time but if not a lot to do its a good way( not on about flexi)

I have very often made my own carving tools, I have renovated listed buildings and buildings of historic interest for many years. It also included the repair of sandstone, bathstone etc and included architectural decorative stone (corniches, plinths, flying buttresses etc and even carved render into block on a large hotel about 20yrs ago using the same method. If you cut it out and it is a bit to wet have a small wet artists brush and rub it along the joint and it will smooth it out, if it is to dry and is grainy mix a cement/water grout and do the same method. I might not be the best plasterer about, but nobody can tell me how to repair or carve stone or s/c render. it's really simple them methods will work every time.

As was said earlier a bent 6 inch nail on a straight edge when render is firm enough then brush with a soft brush to take the scabs of then run it again, all about timing.
Lucius.

looking at the exsisting, 2mm deep, pointing trowel width, looks like 18" x 9" blocks. will be on sand/cement/lime render, untill i'm told different i'll be using rockhards method

when are you doing the job pug ??? I think the method your gonna try would work best when the render has gone off solid/white, as opposed to the next day.

what do you think ??

somewhen begining of june, builder i'm doing it for is a terrible old hippy, s**thot at what he does but slow. when he says "i've got job coming up in a couple of weeks" you'll hear from him in a couple of months!

its 1 side of a house and some patching so i might try it out on the patches first, try a bit on just gone off and a bit next day...

When you've finished rubbing it up ,come on live dangerously whats the worst that can happen .

I have only ever done it that way and it makes me sweat ...... is it gonna tear, oh crap a bit too deep etcetc.

This sounds a good way of stopping me from going grey.....

maybe thats the problem church ref: HAIRLOSS ??

Chill RB, if you do mark it just float it out and carry on........ im going to comb it over know :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.