screw gun dilema

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

skimmin2day

Hi guys.About a year ago i bought a ryobi autofeed collated screw gun.Since day 1 it been a crap tool.Jamming all the time esp on screwing ceilings.
I reverted back to my trusted cordless de walt drill/driver to screw the boards up,but it very very slow.

I was wondering what screw guns you guys use and also if anyof you have tried the gas powered nail guns with succses ?

A lot of my work is over boarding ceilings . I work alone so i use board lifter / props / screw guns to aid and speed things along.. but....

I really need to find the best screw / nail gun out there and one that uses 50 mm screws / nails as im overoarding so need the extra length.

Dont wanna be paying £500 for hilti that is no better than what im using right now.

Help would be appreciated

i use a 18v cordless senco wich i paid abt £300 for and i use a 110v hilti tht i got 4 £200 the makita nt bad either

senco were the original collated guns until hilti bought theres out :mad: :-/ ;D

one more thing the senco does up2 55mm and so does the hilti but if your nt willing to pay good money wat do u expect m8

if u do a lot o boarding then they will pay 4 them selves in time

i know what you mean about collated guns the dryliners i work with all say there nice to use but the reverse is shite and like you say the feed sometimes doesn't feed, so you end up getting youre usual cordless out again, i can only speak from what i see on site but alot of the lads are using impact drivers, they'll fire through the lot quick inc metal stud and won't burn out but then there's always this
http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/ma..._screwdriver_-_2_x_30ah_li-ion_b-p-82104.html
:p :p :p

if ya gunna get a cordless get 18v coz the 14.4 dont last all tht long or just go 4 a 110 damn site cheaper

tried a makita once, spent more time clearing the screws out of the guard than drivin em in...
dont like em...
at least my old knackered cordless drill can drive/remove normal screws...
as for nail guns....ive not come accross a nail gun that fires clouts yet...normal nail gun will just fire 'd' nails straight through the board, prolly miss the joist and go straight through a water pipe!

Got an 18v Senco but as already said crap in reverse. So i tried a Dewalt 12v drywall screw gun( same as cordless but with a dept locator purposely fitted) Wicked tool ! Ok, you do have to put each screw on the bit, but can drive them in pretty rapid in the second gearing. I would recomend one.

I just use a hitachi cordless on high speed the belt clip on them comes in handy.Don't like the collated drills skimmed a ceiling today where someone had used one and spent 20 minutes with the cordless screwing the screws in properly.

Same here dave every time i have gone behind some one who uses the collated screw guns there always seem to be screws hanging out especially close to the corners Personally use a makita cordless have never had a problem with a battery drill. If the job is really big usually give it to a mate of mine whos a tacker.

We bought a Makita collated gun a few months ago and when its working fine its the dogs b*ll***s but screws do get jammed and it only seems to like going into walls, its a tempramental wee thing, works on some ceilings but won,t on others! Our one takes 45mm - 75mm screws.

never rated the collated screw guns, like what has been said the jam and also leave the odd screw sticking out a few mil.

i had this trouble with the dryliners i worked after, they would leave screws sticking out and i nearly catch my trowel on them when skimming.
if i had caught my trowel while skimming it could have hurt my wrist or WORSE damage my trowel.
i stick with the cordless, take a bit longer but you know its done r8 then

puzzles me if you set the depth propererly they dont leave the screws out ???
ive never had a problem but if yre a proper boarder then the one thing u look after is the one cumin behind (no pun intended) so they shud check the screws

but there again alot now bang em up 2 earn the wedge ?????? :-/

i'm fixing boards at the minute and i hope no dry liners read this but i am a rough bast*rd !! screw heads hanging out, broken edges where i've pushed the board too hard, 8mm gaps (for expansion of course ;)) tapered edge butting into a butted joint blah blah blah, but i'll get over it
but if a boarder leaves it like that i'll scream blue murder !!! ;D ;D

srite though, i gotta get out of the habit..its only when ive got some mixed up though...
i used to get real bad vibes off bonding when i was learning...bit like vodka when i was a kid... i never touch the stuff...
came accross hardwall for fillin holes to brick years later...got into s/c prior...always been a glutton for punishment..
might have to get booked onto bondings anonymous...

i fucki*ng hate the stuff we had to do a ceiling about 50m sq, it was cast concrete and was 100 mm out so we had to bond the muther out, where the light fitting was you could just touch it with your index finger, all held on by gypbond...............don't slam the door on your way out ::)

ok now from my experience,if you gonna be doin boardin,you want a makita 25-55mm.ITS F*CKIN ACE!!!! NEVA NEVA BUY SENCO!! THEY ARE HEAVY AND SH*TE!! hilti are TOO EXPENSIVE.

ofcourse,NEVA NEVA NEVA NEVA USE CORDLESS,ITS INSANE!!!!!! HAVIN TO LOAD THE BITT WITH A SCREW EVERYTIME,WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT!!?????? I CRINGE WHEN I SEE BOARDERS DOIN THAT!! THEY ARE JUST TOO TIGHT ARSED TO BUY A COLLATED!!! !! if a screw aint gone home fully,go use a hammer to whack it in,an if in metal a SCREWDRIVER!!!!!

YES,you get THE ODD jam with the screw feeders with ALL COLLATED guns,but thats NOTHING to have to load your gun with a screw TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME!! I SIMPLY DONT GET BOARDERS WHO DONT USE COLLATEDS GUNS!!! MADNESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKITA 25-55MM ALL THE WAY!! you can buy them for £150 on ebay from a proper retailer.batteries an charger not included,they £150.get the 18v batteries,which fit this type of gun jus as the 14v does.

happys days!!! ;D

WHEN I SAID CORDLESS,I MEANT THE NON COLLATED GUNS ;D

USE COLLATED!! ALL BOARDERS LISTEN TO ME,YOU RUFF BAST*RDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KNOCK YA F*CKIN SCREWS IN GODDAMMIT!!!!! BUY COLLATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

ive used senco 4 the past ten yrs makita r shite they aint tht heavy and makita r one of the most expensive about ???????

one thing i do agrre with use an hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.