scratch cracked

Members online

Monkey Boy

Yo!
Love this forum
Am not a spread but I’m having a good go at it all
This is my first ever scratch on my garage
1950’s brickwork and thirsty as ought. I pva’d it just the Once then next day scratched coat’d it which was going great for first timer then at one point when I got to the bottom half I noticed cracking in what I’d done up above. Guess it was drying out too quick maybe? Was 4:1:1 mix no additives. Should I be bothered? I wet it and trowel it up a little more?
Will my float coat do the same? Does closing it in on a float coat assist avoiding cracking?

I’m ready to be ripped apart with comments on my effort. Should not have pva’d for a start but the wall was more thirsty than a cactus and I thought it would help me out...

Attachments

• 91A2627A-F098-4A1A-86F1-75E448A4743E.jpeg
    91A2627A-F098-4A1A-86F1-75E448A4743E.jpeg
    1,008 KB · Views: 1,268
Yo!
Love this forum
1950’s brickwork and thirsty as ought. I pva’d it just the Once then next day scratched coat’d it which was going great for first timer then at one point when I got to the bottom half I noticed cracking in what I’d done up above. Guess it was drying out too quick maybe? Was 4:1:1 mix no additives. Should I be bothered? I wet it and trowel it up a little more?
Will my float coat do the same? Does closing it in on a float coat assist avoiding cracking?

I’m ready to be ripped apart with comments on my effort. Should not have pva’d for a start but the wall was more thirsty than a cactus and I thought it would help me out...
What’s the 4:1:1 mix you used?

Yo!
Love this forum

Should of soaked the wall first, would of added febmix personally, render looks too thin, scratch isn't deep enough. Could of applied a slurry first and applied first coat while still slightly wet.

Disclaimer, I don't render so guessing

Yo!
Love this forum

Just stop at pva.

bof if your bored...
Spread some knowledge for my benefit..
Why not lime in scratch?
What is best mix, materials, ratio’s and why so?
Mesh or not mesh?
Chicken wire or mesh?
Galv or stainless?
Metal beads or plastic?
What is best practice for brick, for block? How to overcome thermalite block?
Does she stop a wall breathing and is that a bad thing?
I’ll send a check in the post

Probably should have soaked the bricks and scudded it first. Pva and waterproofer in the scud to calm suction a bit

bof if your bored...
Spread some knowledge for my benefit..
Why not lime in scratch?
What is best mix, materials, ratio’s and why so?
Mesh or not mesh?
Chicken wire or mesh?
Galv or stainless?
Metal beads or plastic?
What is best practice for brick, for block? How to overcome thermalite block?
Does she stop a wall breathing and is that a bad thing?
I’ll send a check in the post
Missed this post mate
Why not lime in scratch ?
I do , depends on wall , not for DIY , you should steer clear and stick to waterproof in 4:1 cement followed by 5:1 top coat a week later ,
I generally refuse on thermalites due to their high expansion rate so would mesh ( galvanized with plenty of stainless nails )
Stainless beads as steel has the same expansion rate as mix ( plastic is double )
Scratch coat ruled flat before scratching and at 45° left to right as you go up with a slight wavey pattern if you're right handed other way for left handers , scratched teeth width of about 6/8 mm
Waterproofer won't stop your wall from breathing just slow moisture travelling through
The walls should be soaked to control moisture and cure but have known of people using waterproof PVA without disaster

No cash , I usually get stick for tips but I think it's great for people to have a go cos only then ( usually after disaster ) do they really appreciate the trade and will pay proper money
all walls are not the same , sun , wind and rain exposure have to be taken into account as well as the paint on top

Disclaimer , I gave up rendering 20 odd years ago lol , the jobs great , it's the customers and the weather causes the problems

the brickwork below the drip bead does not look good.
Do’nt fret malc them are just faces waiting to be pointed up with the rest of it. 1952 garage and I’m trying to put lipstick on this pig....
At least your not slagging off my scratch coat.
Here is how I’m getting on with my first render effort..
Come on you love a newbies crap efforts full of mistakes..
Any comments?
Anyone found out if that new bird Maddie Jones is legit?
56BA82A6-3EAA-4981-A8E3-4F71E619EA7B.jpeg