Sciatica, what a pain.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olican

Private Member
Anyone else here ever suffered from sciatica?. Nerve damage which causes anything from mild to extreme pain down lower back and legs. Ive got it and its a real pain in the arse (no pun intended) Doc tells me ibroprofen and exercise! wondered if anyonelse has had it if so how long did it last. Dreading work on Monday, yesterday was a struggle.

I am no doctor and at your own risk i would suggest finding some where you can hang from with your hands with your feet of the floor,hold this position for as long as you can and this should elongate the spine and ease the pain .repeat a couple of times but be very careful . Hope this helps.

Anyone else here ever suffered from sciatica?. Nerve damage which causes anything from mild to extreme pain down lower back and legs. Ive got it and its a real pain in the arse (no pun intended) Doc tells me ibroprofen and exercise! wondered if anyonelse has had it if so how long did it last. Dreading work on Monday, yesterday was a struggle.

had it about 12years ago,worst pain ever,had 9weeks off work and couldn't walk for 6 them, the only way the doc could get me on my feet was to have an injection in my back around the epidural area , lost a stone in weight tho so every cloud and all that .

Im going to try that on monday Beader, I seem to be in pain no matter what I do so Ill carry on working at my own peril. needs must. 9 weeks off sounds a horror, especially this time of year.

painkillers arent doing a thing, going to try a couple of large woods rum, purely medicinal :RpS_lol:

I am no doctor and at your own risk i would suggest finding some where you can hang from with your hands with your feet of the floor,hold this position for as long as you can and this should elongate the spine and ease the pain .repeat a couple of times but be very careful . Hope this helps.

If that fails you can tie it around your neck and hang with your feet off the floor. Guaranteed to end the pain forever.

When you get back to normal try keeping strong an supple with weights and stretches. Muscular imbalances can be one of the causes i.e. lifting bags of plaster over and over generally on one shoulder.

I have a lower back problem which is a fused pelvis. It means I am very limited to how far I can lean forwards. It also means I have to lift correctly, straight back bent knees.

I joined a gym last September and that has helped my lower back muscles. Like Rossi46 say's try and do muscle exercises that you are comfortable with and try and avoid the mistake of carrying bags on your shoulder it means you are twisting your back.

Always think twice about how you are going to lift anything. I always get help with lifting and have done since my back problem started in the late 90's.

Remember the grave yard is full of heroes.

agree with you there Ross, I have always had the habit of alternating shoulders when loading out bags.( a habit I would reccomend to everyone) I always try to stay physically fit as in our game your body can take a pounding. Im 6'5" and 17stone, being tall has a big advantage but I do think it can be a hinderance ( would be interested to hear if other tall spreads on here think the same.)

agree with you there Ross, I have always had the habit of alternating shoulders when loading out bags.( a habit I would reccomend to everyone) I always try to stay physically fit as in our game your body can take a pounding. Im 6'5" and 17stone, being tall has a big advantage but I do think it can be a hinderance ( would be interested to hear if other tall spreads on here think the same.)

6'5" must be a problem on ceiling if you are working with someone shorter. I have had that problem being 5'10" and worked with someone 5'3". Not easy.

I have read many of your posts Rigsby and know you speak sense, when I was an apprentice I thought I was invincible, carrying 2 bags at a time, 2 boards at a time, trying to push the big meters constantly. I soon worked out that this was bullshit. I recently did a speed awareness course and the lecturer told us that if you drive a journey at 80mph you would have to drive 100 miles to save 10 mins as opposed to driving at 70mph. its not an assumption its just statement of fact. The same rule applies in our game, push yourself too much and you are only gaining minutes. work smarter not harder.

I have worked with a spread for the past 5 years and we have developed a rythm that works really well, we dont kill ourselves, we always turn out excellent metrage, and standard is always high.

Just like Rigsby said The graveyard is full of heroes.

go get some 500mg tablets of vitamin c quadrupple the daily dose for 4 days and its fixed.
belive me

Been in a lot of pain this past week, pain killers arent doing much (I have only just read the post above and will be trying that this week, cheers Rockhard) The pain has been pretty intense and havent been sleeping much because of it. I bought an electric pulse belt from boots and tried that today, it has been the first bit of pain relief for a few weeks. Wore it for 25 minutes on medium setting and that was an hour ago. So far no pain (Im sure it will be back soon enough though) this is the longest I havent been in pain for a few weeks.

Wanted to share this in case anyone else gets this pain in the arse.

Av a word with your doc about a painkilling injection, oli it's the only thing that worked for me,b4 they suggested an injection I was on the strongest painkiller next to morphine well that's what they told me,good luck I feel for ya

Try an ice pack, that reduces the inflammation that puts pressure on the nerve and also while lying on ur back pull your knees to your chest and hold this stretches your lower back. Worked for me mate

Ive tried Voltarol and coddeine but dont seem to work, plus I dont like taking strong painkillers if I can help it. Will look into the injection if it worsens, going to crack on at work tommorow, just try and pace myself and zone out. thanks for the advice superspread

your bang on plastamasta, loads of these exercises on youtube, they do help for a short while. Sciatica can last for days or weeks, just depends on your physicality and a bit of luck I guess

Im glad people have replied to this thread, it is a horrible condition and the pain can be anything from mild to excruciating. hopefully any forum sufferers can look back on this.

I suffer from sciatica. Its hard to get rid of when its there but when it goes away it can be prevented to a degree by doing core exercises that strengthen the lower back

I didn't have true sciatica, it was my sciatic nerve getting pinched due to a bulged disk inflaming the surrounding muscle. So slightly different but I had a lot of physio and quite a bit of time off. I found diclofenec very helpful as a way of getting some mobility back. Then there are some good stretching exercises aswell as improving your core strength to help prevent it coming back. Then it's just looking after yourself. For me it is something iv been told ill never be able to fully get rid of. I don't know with sciatica. I think the main things are core strength and flexibility. Its a common problem with spreads due to the imbalance in muscle on each side of the body.

The thing I still get now is if I put my back flat against a walls right side is larger than the left. I think this is inflammation tho.

I had exactly the same nickelarse.

The only solution was to have a disc removed :RpS_bored:

Not nice, but instantly pain free after and ever since. That was 12 years ago.

Ouch, still battling this condition. Things took a turn for the worse 2 weeks ago. Got up for work and collapsed in agony on the floor, I have heard people talk about how severe this pain is and they aren't wrong. It was excruciating. My body was in spasm and I could not control the pain. since then I have been on some very strong medication, working with physios and regular visits to my G.P.
I have always kept fit and tried to look after myself and I cant think how I could have avoided this. Like Rigsby has mentioned in other posts, wear and tear is inevitable.
If you get anything like back, neck, shoulder pain then try and identify it early as possible. Insist on ultrasound or whatever is required from gp so you can fight it early. I wouldnt wish this pain on anyone. I am having to work but luckily my work partner has carried me for the past month, just finished 210m of krend, and starting new site tommorrow. Ideal world I should be taking a month off, but like most of us the bills dont take time off!

What about the pain killing injection I told you about,I did say its the only thing that's gonna work oli,insist on it.

I get loads of lower back pain so i do flexiblity and stretch exercises........hyperextensions and supermans work canny good....................:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about your post tbh superspread, probably the diazepam/diclfenac/dyhrdacodeine combination Ive been on :huh: Did you have much time off after the injection? Off to see gp tomorrow, will definitely push for it

thanks for posting that Art, Ive watched lots of these clips and do the exercises regularly. One thing Ive learned is that damage to the piriformis muscle in buttock can be similar to sciatica and a different set of exercises are more effective.

I forgot about your post tbh superspread, probably the diazepam/diclfenac/dyhrdacodeine combination Ive been on :huh: Did you have much time off after the injection? Off to see gp tomorrow, will definitely push for it

I had the injection after about 6 weeks out of nine weeks off ,but I had it about 2weeks before xmas so didn't bother to go back till the 1st jan. I still couldn't walk properly for at least a week or so after if memory serves me right.if you can get it done oli your wanna take me out for a nice slap up lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.