Scaffold - how far from wall?

Members online

No members online now.

grahal

Hello All

I am project managing a 2 storey extension which will need to be rendered.

What is your preference for space between the wall and scaff tubes and boards so that you can easily / successfully render?

Normal two coat render ... no insulation under etc.

Many Thanks
grahal

I used to get scaffolders to hold it right back from wall so we could get into it, they said it wasn’t safe that way so I told them they can pay for any jobs to get redone when it looks like a giant game of x and o’s

Hello All

I am project managing a 2 storey extension which will need to be rendered.

What is your preference for space between the wall and scaff tubes and boards so that you can easily / successfully render?

Normal two coat render ... no insulation under etc.

Many Thanks
grahal

You're project managing?

If in doubt, go out a plank and a bit. Reason is that if the trades aren't happy, then they might start moving bars if it's too close...too far out and the scaffolders will have a trick to add a plank.and bring it in a bit.

The difference of course is that when brickies/plasterers take stuff out, it might fall on their heads but if scaffolders add a bit, it won't.

That will be one guinea, please.

Usually the scaffold is just altered from that put up for the brickies and the inner board is removed and the tubes drawn back. This works well for me.

Usually 9” minimum or a scaffolders torpedo level away. But I prefer a bit more.

Whats better is a six board scaffold with the 6th on the inside on its own sat on extended transoms. Sat 150mm away from the wall but then when spraying down to the peicing line tilt the inner board back onto its edge. Plenty of room to go down below the line.

But this priveledge costs more.

Usually 9” minimum or a scaffolders torpedo level away. But I prefer a bit more.

Whats better is a six board scaffold with the 6th on the inside on its own sat on extended transoms. Sat 150mm away from the wall but then when spraying down to the peicing line tilt the inner board back onto its edge. Plenty of room to go down below the line.

But this priveledge costs more.

You have also got to consider the scaffolders liability. Think there is a limit away from the wall before you need internal hand rails.

Thank you guys for all the informative and useful replies and the humour (makes the day go round! :) ).

I got the scaffers back to remove the plank nearest the wall and move tubes back etc... as was more or less the general consensus on here.

Cheers