SAS silicone monocouche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsby

TPF Special Forces
Done a job this evening using SAS Silicone monocouche. What a disaster! It was 15mm total thickness with 5mm of their prep base coat and 12mm of monocouche scraped back to 10mm.

Sprayed nice although very gritty. 2 passes, first pass seemed to not stiffen up then turn back and second pass. All seemed well but stayed wet so put off spatting the serrated lines out. I had a feeling that soon as a spat touched it would slide.

didn't have to wait to spat it it rolled in places and came completely off in others. Did 2/3 of this bungalow and when we left every wall had area's of where it had rolled of back to the scratch coat.

Going to take it all off in the morning.

Anyone had problems with this stuff? I have sprayed their float on prep at 8-10mm and it sagged in a few places but this stuff? Don't know if the base is completely waterproof or the silicone is causing a problem. Never used anything like it. The nearest to this job my first mono job. Hand applied on waterproofed sand and cement and we wet the scratch coat down in late October! That was difficult but this went on ok then the problems started.

Bloody hell not good.as said earlier I have used there pro rend straight onto block in the summer and took yonks to set.24hrs on the bell cast in July!!
The silicone content must be high.didnt rate it much tbh.good for over nighters though as you know it will hang for a soft rub the next day.

I hand applied it this morning and could not master it. Raw is an understatement. I don't know if this batch is faulty but what with the material being dead and a water proof base it is hard to get right. Go over it with a serrated edge or spat and it opens up or tears.

Got it finished but very coarse finish. The aggregate is bigger than anything else I have used.

some of these materials need mixing for several minuets which you can not do with a machine.

Done a job this evening using SAS Silicone monocouche. What a disaster! It was 15mm total thickness with 5mm of their prep base coat and 12mm of monocouche scraped back to 10mm.

Sprayed nice although very gritty. 2 passes, first pass seemed to not stiffen up then turn back and second pass. All seemed well but stayed wet so put off spatting the serrated lines out. I had a feeling that soon as a spat touched it would slide.

didn't have to wait to spat it it rolled in places and came completely off in others. Did 2/3 of this bungalow and when we left every wall had area's of where it had rolled of back to the scratch coat.

Going to take it all off in the morning.

Anyone had problems with this stuff? I have sprayed their float on prep at 8-10mm and it sagged in a few places but this stuff? Don't know if the base is completely waterproof or the silicone is causing a problem. Never used anything like it. The nearest to this job my first mono job. Hand applied on waterproofed sand and cement and we wet the scratch coat down in late October! That was difficult but this went on ok then the problems started.

You seem to use lots of different material @Rigsby.
If you supply your own gear wouldn't it be easier to stick to one?

Last edited by a moderator:
This customer wanted SAS Silicone. There is a house around the corner that has it and it glistens in the sun and street lamps apparently. I think it is the reflection of the exposed chunks go Quartz, they are big enough. Also he wanted the silicone and their 10 year warranty.

Those who want mega year warranties then I deal with companies who give them, those who will have the cheaper brands then it is down to price.

But yes, I should be sticking to one or two companies.

Had same problem in winter with monocouche xf, used to slide off basecoat that was cured, best way we found was sprayed onto a green basecoat, and not ruled too much.

Hi m8, I use prorend a bit, I don't spay I mix up in big tubs to use there products because there gear just stays so wet in the tubs, I find there base coats are so easy to use (nice and double cream) sort of mix. With there mono I mix it up stiff and get it on in one pass 12 to 13mm back to 10. Never spayed with it but if you could get the mono coming out a bit thicker may be you may have a chance with it. Got to use it a bit more bud.

We mixed the last lot by hand and then had smaller tubs by our side. Virtually consistently whisking it and it was usable. Like said a bit on the stiff side, 12mm on their base coat.

Very course aggregate but the customer liked it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.