Sand & Cement

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris16

I've a flood damage job coming up and was after abit of advice. The walls have been striped back to the bare brick to dry out, the builder is after a sand and cement backing coat and was wonder if this is the best option or to use something like Hardwall, not had much luck the last time l used sand and cement the skim craked quite bad and needs re-skiming, l dont think l used enough PVA and was wondering if thistle bondit or wikes' own would be better then PVA l've seen them mentioned in quite a few posts

Any advice would be great

Hi Chris
If background is really dry definately better using bonding agent than pva, if its excessively dry though british gypsum do a product called gyprime which should definately do the job. If just brick though thistle bond it or wickes should do job and to be fair as long as sealed properly hardwall should be fine. Also limelight do a renovating plaster and finishing plaster that is specially designed for use after flood damage and damp proofing. It is expensive though so if it is`nt too severe would probably use bonding agent with hardwall or your sand and cement mix. Hope this helps

Thanks Rocky

I think costs are going to be a big issue with the builder, so will probably have to use sand and cement, i'll just have to make sure the bricks get a good coat of bonding agent and then again onto the sand and cement

try brooming the bricks down to get rid of any loose particles, then wet the wall down and then seal with a diluted pva solution. This is what i do and everything seems to stick like dogs poo to a blankett. Gyprime is good but quite expensive.

If your using sand and cement, put some rendamix in the scratch coat as this will hold the suction back. Use plasticeiser in your float coat and then set the following day, this shouldn't crack at all. Leave the scratch coat for 48 hours though prior to applying your floating coat

Use plasticeiser in your float coat and then set the following day, this shouldn't crack at all. Leave the scratch coat for 48 hours though prior to applying your floating coat

so stick you your scratch coat on day 1 leave for 48 hours and then scratch it on Day 2..... how long are your days??

;) ;) ;)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.