Sand cement lime over old lathes? Ok

Members online

Mikee

Hi. The old lime plaster has all been removed. The lathes are sound. Should 6.1.1 with added w.proofer be ok with board finish on top?

Plasterboard
maxresdefault.jpg

Overboard ,you could incorporate screws with dot and dab (plasterboard adhesive) if walls out of plumb, (lathes need to be dust free)

Last edited:
Well as we are out of plaster up here in Scotland it would be back to the dark days of thick porridge with chopped heather to strengthen :whistle:

Hi everyone I’ve just joined the forum this morning,I’m 68 years old and started plastering at 15,still working when it suits me,got to be traditional now to keep me interested,inside or out. Just a quick one on the lathed ceiling,if u want to try something different get a couple of bags of Hydraulic lime,sand,not building,5.1 add some fibres, float the ceiling,remember to always go diagonal accross the laths,good luck!

Hi everyone I’ve just joined the forum this morning,I’m 68 years old and started plastering at 15,still working when it suits me,got to be traditional now to keep me interested,inside or out. Just a quick one on the lathed ceiling,if u want to try something different get a couple of bags of Hydraulic lime,sand,not building,5.1 add some fibres, float the ceiling,remember to always go diagonal accross the laths,good luck!
Welcome! Good entry Bentley!

used washed sand, cement, lime, w.proofer, fibers. 6.1.1. 30:1, 2 small pinches. Not brittle, nice to handle, good bite on to lathes. SBR to bond where solid wall background..

I was reclining in a leather chair, smoking jacket and pipe in hand reading about old process of lath and plaster. Not that I'm going to be doing that anytime soon!