Sand and cement render slump

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

Got asked by a builder to render a wall before they put on the slate tiles so I had somewhere to stand - quite an awkward bit of wall.

Anyway, did it yesterday and what a crappy day I had. I didn't want to do it as showers were forecast and it was a really damp daybut the builder insisted as it was holding up the build - I managed to get it all on the wall nice and quick but then it tipped it down.

The top of it pulled in nicely however at the bottom all the water drained down plus the rain made it slump and slide. Had to scrape the bottom back off. What a mess!!! It was still very wet at 5

I have now woken up thinking I should have just pulled it all back off there and then! and then started again on a dryer day, however I left the top part on. Guess ill be back on it with an sds chisel.
i should have said today was not ideal for rendering and not even touched it.

Why didnt I listen to myself instead?

just needed to get it off my chest as will be wasting a day getting it off now.

Its easy to say afterwards when things go wrong that we should have left it and waited for a better day? Often builders/customers are an impatient bunch especially when the render work is holding other trades up!?
I have 4dormers and chimney to render asap as the roofer wants to get it all tiled asap(just felted and battened at tho mo I've just said if the weather doesn't play ball you'l have to wait!? Will have to see how it pans out??

Tyrolened a job on Friday and it was cloudy all day, went back the next day it was still on but a bit soft that was for a builder but no Stress off him but needed to get it done before it gets worse, Deffo last rendering job for a while I can't be arsed with the stress of never getting on it or waiting whilst your on it.

Yeah I'm going to wait until spring. He wants the side or the house done next week but Ive told him I'm not willing to to put it on and then still be there late night wondering if its ever going to go off!

Yeah I'm going to wait until spring. He wants the side or the house done next week but Ive told him I'm not willing to to put it on and then still be there late night wondering if its ever going to go off!

Using SBR in mixes helps as does frostproofer/accelerator :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah used it frost proofer/accelerator still was pulling in. Going to get my little labourer to get it all off one day next week and we shall start again.

Yeah used it frost proofer/accelerator still was pulling in. Going to get my little labourer to get it all off one day next week and we shall start again.
Did you put it on in one or scratch it first?

Last edited:
Start a bit of rapid set @basset ( can I call you Bertie?) We use it a lot in the winter and its a godsend, but be careful , too much and it turns too quick. Depends on size of panel , back ground etc. We are topping the front of some industrial units tommorow, mix will be 4.5 silver sand 1 lime .5 opc .5 rapid if that makes sense. ( 4 1/2-1-1/2-1/2) lol that looks daft but I think you'll get my drift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start a bit of rapid set @basset ( can I call you Bertie?) We use it a lot in the winter and its a godsend, but be careful , too much and it turns too quick. Depends on size of panel , back ground etc. We are topping the front of some industrial units tommorow, mix will be 4.5 silver sand 1 lime .5 opc .5 rapid if that makes sense. ( 4 1/2-1-1/2-1/2) lol that looks daft but I think you'll get my drift.
Rapid is hard to predict in a mix weaker then 3/1 I think ,sometimes you wonder if it makes any difference when weak

It can be tricky to predict and does take some trial and error, this mix has worked well for us for years. Don't like recommending it though, I think its about personal preference

You can call me Bertie - I've been called a lot worse.
Yeah I got it, I shall give it ago - I'm not waiting around all day again.

you do need to get the mix correct for these little jobs. put lime in the scratch, cut down or leave out the feb mix , add a frost proofe, it will be harder to apply but will finish quicker.

Newspaper is the trick like , one page at a time put it ontop of your render and rub it with float a touch , takes moisture out of the sand cement more for the bottoms of walls etc where it hangs , may have to be done a few times :)

Ive only done it once but to good affect , my dad mentioned it as a good little trick of my grand dads back in the day , he used to have a big plastering firm

get it all on by 11am and protect from rain, simples, to wet a mix and to thick would normally make it slump.

Or too much waterproofed in scratch sometimes it slumps cos gravity is taking the water down the wall hence wetter at the bottom it's got nowhere to go in these temps

If it all goes wrong and someone mentions it to the builder, will he say "oh yes I asked the plasterer to do it even though he warned me not to, it's all my fault" ?!

If the customer can afford it use SAS Rapid. I did it at 3c and set nice after 5 hours. Normally it is a 3 hour set. Nice stuff to use as well but costs a mint!

Newspaper is the trick like , one page at a time put it ontop of your render and rub it with float a touch , takes moisture out of the sand cement more for the bottoms of walls etc where it hangs , may have to be done a few times :)
Newspaper is a waste of time you should have knocked up some driers

Goinf to try this mix on Monday. Just have a quick question - would you use frost proofer/ accelerator in the mix?
Not sure how the rapid would work with it?
Cheers

Goinf to try this mix on Monday. Just have a quick question - would you use frost proofer/ accelerator in the mix?
Not sure how the rapid would work with it?
Cheers
I don't personally basset :RpS_thumbup: Best of luck to you bud

Got caught out today, warm n sunny all day got back end over sloping slate roof on and fined down by 12 so stuck smaller section on . Rain coming in after 6 but it hit at 4 with hail too, drip got a few small runs as we left but scratched up the smaller section, if its still on will rub it up in morning if its not still raining, or maybe have to scrape n scrub up the mess. Either way that jobs on stop till weather breaks now its not worth the risk and waste.

I am thinking that now, as seen the weather forecast. Monday looks dry here but then heavy rain coming in! Not sure if to go for it or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.