salts on chimney breast

Members online

ruddez

a rendered and skimmed chimney breast has had damp coming through from the chimney but now has been cured but obviously now salts are a problem its all dried out but my question is could the breast be unibonded and skimmed over without the stains and salts coming back through or could it be treated first or just batten or stud and board /skim any advice thanks

Hack off the affected area, treat with an anti sulphate a couple of times then re-render with a sulphate resistant render then skim.

The plaster at the moment that is on there is going to have to come of as its full of migrating salts, you will be constantly plagued by salt damp if not.

Here is some salt damp/salts contaminated plaster for you to look at.
The house has been repointed over 18 months ago but the customer was still suffering from what they thought was damp penetrating.
I inspected the property and it was clear it was salt damp, also they had 2 chimneys in need of venting.
Never made a penny out of that one but sometimes it is a wild goose chase this game lol

Attachments

• salt damp.JPG
    salt damp.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 398
@adapt
Did you do the repointing mate? Inside/outside? How deep did you cut back? What mix did you use for the pointing ? Just curious tho.
And as for board and membrane......
Board should be never used anywhere near damp conditions. IMHO . That's a staircase to a basement and GYM -4 months after installation .
image.jpeg

I was just called in to sort out the problem its the story of my life, the amount of "experts" out there is amazing when it comes to dampness. Basically the house was an old stone cottage that had been left for donkeys with no maintenance.
They pointed it up and re-plastered the inside without any thought about salts. long story short 18 months to 24 months later they are still trying to dry it out lol.
Dehumidifiers etc. place was just full of salts. I basically told them they needed to hack off the plaster then dry out the areas then treat with anti sulphate and re-render to spec.
They used a cement and lime mix I think on the pointing, the chimneys were blocked off too.
I am thinking of starting a charity these days as I seem to be doing a lot for f**k all these days lol

:rolleyes:
Was just curious. Judging by the picture is over the ground, don't know about the wall on the right, and yet is quite bad. Wondered what the aproach was. Thanks for the reply.