salt

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
S+c floated an internal wall the other week. Salt is coming through the plaster in 2 small areas(palm size lines) how do I get rid of this or is it just a case of letting it dry out on its own?

Bruce Willis said:
S+c floated an internal wall the other week. Salt is coming through the plaster in 2 small areas(palm size lines) how do I get rid of this or is it just a case of letting it dry out on its own?

brush it off every day with a soft brush. should stop after a while. dont leave it on the finish
cos it makes the plaster deteriorate

It was bare brick and seemed ok. There used to be a fireplace there yrs ago but had been removed. The reason for the new s+c was that they had a problem with contaminated plaster in the past. But didnt say what with. Also said it wasnt damp. Thik it was council that did the report.

bricks sound like they were contaminated with soot or moisture from gas fire which has caused them to salt up,salty or sooty bricks will always draw the moisture from the air and when they try to dry out will always salt up and then when ou get a damp day they do the same again,need to sbr where an old chimmney breast has been to stop the moisture drawing through to the bricks

brush off give a coat of oil based paint then emulsion over top after a light sand to key

Thanks Grand , I did put waterproofer in the mix. Obviously its come back and I didnt know there was a fireplace there until she told me today but I did put a waterproofer in the mix, would the waterproofer have helped or not?

As Grand said, coat of gloss then paint over with what ever you are using, done this on a problomatic chimney on my house in Spain 4 years ago still OK now.

I had big problem couple of months ago with this. S+c on a damp bay using SIKA waterproofer
and had massive salt probs for a month or more. Got the arse after a while, hacked it off
and re rendered with SOVEREIGN waterproofer which has a salt neutraliser in it. Solved the
prob straight away. Their tech line is 1st class unlike SIKA w ankers. If the prob dont go away after
a while pm me and i'll root out their no.

lucius said:
As Grand said, coat of gloss then paint over with what ever you are using, done this on a problomatic chimney on my house in Spain 4 years ago still OK now.
lucius said:
I know you cant paint over silk with matt coz it cracks. Is it ok to paint over gloss with matt or silk? Will just a light sand be enough to give it a key?

irish_spread said:
I had big problem couple of months ago with this. S+c on a damp bay using SIKA waterproofer
and had massive salt probs for a month or more. Got the arse after a while, hacked it off
and re rendered with SOVEREIGN waterproofer which has a salt neutraliser in it. Solved the
prob straight away. Their tech line is 1st class unlike SIKA w ankers. If the prob dont go away after
a while pm me and i'll root out their no.
Ok will do cheers mate

01229 870800. only prob is u have 2 have a minimum order which works out bout £55
for 2 gallons delivered to ur door but it does work. They're based ooop north in Barrow

irish_spread said:
01229 870800. only prob is u have 2 have a minimum order which works out bout £55
for 2 gallons delivered to ur door but it does work. They're based ooop north in Barrow
Cheers Irish I appreciate that. Ill try the gloss/matt route and keep everything crossed!

salt neutraliser...
1 part acetic acid (vinegar)
1 part water (h2o)
surfactant (little drop of washing up liquid)
brush well into wall allow to dry and repeat
have fish and chips every night for the next week..

Nice one Chris, gonna give it a go with one of them then tell em to gloss paint etc.
Cheers for the heads up lads, was feeling stressed tonight but the advice has calmed it down .

Do you know what I went in to the dulux trade suppliers today and they said they hadnt a clue what to recommend! Numpties!

Bruce Willis said:
Do you know what I went in to the dulux trade suppliers today and they said they hadnt a clue what to recommend! Numpties!

I know, they should know seen as it's their job!
I went to TP for some hardwall few months back by a job i was on,
asked him for hardwall he said what's that? i had to explain :-\
so i said well have you got any browning? He said no we've only got bonding!
I said that's no good for what i need onto blockwork.

He hadn't got a clue what was what ???
;D

Status
Not open for further replies.