sagging lath and plaster ceiling in north london

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkeFincher

our Victorian terrace house has lath and plaster ceiling in the stairwell which someone put thick textured wallpaper over (walls and ceiling). Perhaps to hide who knows what!? The ceiling is now sagging (quite a lot!) next to the party wall. Not sure if I have deflection in a rafter or not. (picture attached). Who should I get to look at it first? plasterer? surveyor? builder? etc.

thanks
Mark

Attachments

• sag3.jpg
    sag3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 405
a good plasterer should be able to sort that.,.sure there's someone on here who lives near you.......

welcome to the forum by the way.

I can't really tell from the picture if there's a slight water stain.
I take it the loft is above that ceiling.
So also might be worth checking roof tiles above that area incase any rain water is creeping in.
Buy that's worst case really, other than that the old plaster will have lost it's key with the laths & as martin says above a plasterer will sort that out:RpS_thumbup:

yeah the loft is above that ceiling. I got up there and lifted the insulation up and it all looked pretty dry and no evidence of water staining. The 'laths' still look tightly attached to the rafters though so I cant work out if there is any rafter movement associated with the sag or not. Do you think I should cut away a section of the wallpaper to see whats behind or is that just going to cause a complete nightmare?

I have found after working on a few sagging lath ceilings when cutting out to repair a particular area I have ended up just taking the lot down boarding and skimming , especially with the ceilings that have the lath over lapping, a lath ceiling I have just looked at in Euston with the same diagnosis sagging with a leaky roof above turns out has been put up much greater than previously worked on lath ceilings and has given no problem at all all the rest of the area is solid flat and sound with the ceiling only needing the affected area cut out which I have done.

Its probably just had its life span, it needs to be replaced.Its a messy job, but one thats a good plasterer will rectify for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.