Rusting Metal

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasmine

Hi everyone. I have some work to do in my house and I'm hoping I might get some fee advice from the experts. A bit cheeky I know.

I have already had two plasterers out to view the work and they have given conflicting advice and I'm not too sure which to go with. If either. I have patio doors and around the opening where the metal edging is has all rusted and the paint has all blistered. These were only done two years ago after the same problem occurred previously. One plasterer has suggested that there are salts coming out of the wall and that I should - or he should - knock off the plaster and do it again after treating the wall with some kind of solution the name of which I have forgotten. The other has suggested some form of plastic matting that would attach to the wall and be boarded over. The other plasterer scoffed at this idea by the way. My dilemma is that neither could determine why I was getting the rusty edging. They both took a look outside and said the pebble dash was fine and that the adjacent windows and rear door do not have the same problem. It mainly appears on the top metal edging and you can see dark patches and then right down the side edging. It does not spread all across the wall or even out to the frame of the patio itself. Sorry if that all seems a bit long winded but just don't want to make sure that I choose the right plasterer. Jas

@Jasmine not really sure if you mean the actual patio door or the external angle beads ????? pictures would help us give a better advice on your problem.

welcome along by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I am sorry I mean the metal beads. I couldn't remember the name for them. I will take some pictures on my iphone and try and upload them. Thanks.

sound like you have a damp problem. plaster needs to come off, brickwork dried out, damp coarse treated, then plastered.

Thanks. Both of the plasterers I had out to view said that they didn't think there was any damp because it was just around the frame and not even down to the floor. Hope that helps. I am just doing the pictures. I really appreciate your help.

Could be patio doors not sealed properly you need to find were the problem is first is there any obvious cracks on external walls guttering leaking ect? Find the problem then can be cured:RpS_thumbup:

Did a job early last year with what seems same problem as yr explaining there was no cavity tray above the doors so water was getting in and doing same as yr explaining might be worth getting a builder in to check it

When you had it done it was probably done with a gypsum based backing plaster and this is your problem I recon, without digging a little hole in the damp area you won't know. The first bloke makes more sense than the First one but if they can't tell you why it's happening they can't fix it.

beads should not rust indoors....

I would be looking for a source or damp...

Very hard to diagnose without seeing:-\

Bet they were stuck on with multi, second attempt only replicated the original problem

Don't matter what they were stuck on with internal beads shouldn't rust it's either a damp problem or water ingress from outside ,if it's outside should have used stainless beads

Status
Not open for further replies.