Roughcasting End Terraced - Bathgate, West Lothian

Sss107

Hi all,

Looking to re-roughcast house and garage, it was built circa 1880.
Existing roughcasting is cracked and hollow and generally failed on every wall. Found flaking paint underneath the existing roughcasting. Total, it’s around 150 m2.

Had a couple of quotes in. Prices varying significantly. Some say it must be scrim n’ pinned and others say the Krend they use can be used (even over flaking paint?). I am unsure whether lime needs to be used also due to the age.

Ideally, looking to get this done this before winter kicks in. Gable end wall is exposed at the moment.

Can contact me on 07500899257 or mcarney@live.co.uk

Thanks, Martyn

Last edited:

Attachments

• C5AADB9D-D5E1-4E22-B637-0024F7E9923E.jpeg
    C5AADB9D-D5E1-4E22-B637-0024F7E9923E.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 627
  • 6FFC558D-49F0-4D7C-B6BD-508C2A5D95EC.jpeg
    6FFC558D-49F0-4D7C-B6BD-508C2A5D95EC.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 625
  • 4E5D961F-F550-4AE0-9936-57AEE38E4E4E.jpeg
    4E5D961F-F550-4AE0-9936-57AEE38E4E4E.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 624
Here are pictures of the house. Apologies not the best.

Attachments

• 9CCDA04C-7C6F-4201-94ED-2DDD3353154E.jpeg
    9CCDA04C-7C6F-4201-94ED-2DDD3353154E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 557
  • C7C10328-542B-40BD-B2F7-BC6675DFD840.jpeg
    C7C10328-542B-40BD-B2F7-BC6675DFD840.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 809
  • 920315FB-C5CA-40C0-9243-E473DE21BB32.jpeg
    920315FB-C5CA-40C0-9243-E473DE21BB32.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 544
  • 0DA04224-D408-42C3-8542-D3A757378753.jpeg
    0DA04224-D408-42C3-8542-D3A757378753.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 601
Quite pricey I think.

Since it’s a reasonably older property, is K Rend fine to use? Do I need lime, heard of a K Rend K Lime? I am alittle out of my depth here but heard it’s best to avoid cement based products?

The 3 quotes are knocking off the loose roughcasting, is this ok? Thought it would be best take it all off.

Lastly, if there’s any flaky paint underneath, I take it this needs removed and

Any help is much appreciated.

You should push for complete hack off. Looking at the pictures I am almost certain, the render is not in good condition tbh.

I won’t say the third is over the top, but the first 2 find criminal cheap! 4-5k for 150m2 and I guess you took all openings out.

Why anyone would just remove the blown bits is beyond me. If large areas sound hollow the rest probably won't be far behind and it just makes sense to hack it all off and start fresh. For starters they won't be able to guarantee the job if they're going over old render as it's only adhered aswell as the old is

Really appreciate your replies. I had a very rough idea of the price I was expecting, around £6500-£7000 so surprised at the quotes so far. I would imagine the price will increase a fair bit if they are hacking it all off.

Anyone in central Scotland want to do the job? Or can make suggestions for who I can contact? A lot of cowboys out there unfortunately.

Last edited:
As said, id be knocking all off back to substrate.first 2 far too cheap for work allowed for.
The use of lime, depends on what the substrate is.

Your materials plus a scaffold are going to be a couple of grand, it’s a lot of graft for a few fellas for the remaining.

Is this scotland . @paulf . If no one can help I know a tiler . @lurpak he.s s**t hot as well from that area. He uses a plasterer who may be able to help if you want me to give him a bell

So have a new quote on the way, should be here mid week. As I have been researching, I have further questions! Last quote wants to remove all the existing roughcasting - on the gable end this will be left the smooth sandstone render. They want to use HP 12 K Rend stuff and finish with Krend smooth coloured render. I’ve been reading horror stories about how it cracks, can’t be patched and susceptible to algae. I am not fussed with it being a smooth finish, I just want it to last so if the rough stone finish is best I am happy to do it.
Am I right in thinking this? What is the best finish? I want it to be as breathable as possible. Are there better products to use, I’ve been reading about Parex/Weber? Any help is much appreciated and if anyone is in Central Scotland that is looking for work, just let me know.

I'd take the lot off whatever system you decide to go with! Do it yourself with a couple of Joey's and some kangos and a skip be cheaper (y)

Absolutely! Normally, I would do everything but currently ripping out the bathroom and 1st child on the way soon, time is a bit tight so easier to get someone out. Any advice on products? Just want it to last and look good as long as possible...

if you Google most products you will always find horror stories. 99%of the ti me it is down to the applicator.

with any quote i would be looking at going to see some of their last projects and also speaking to the customers....

So have a new quote on the way, should be here mid week. As I have been researching, I have further questions! Last quote wants to remove all the existing roughcasting - on the gable end this will be left the smooth sandstone render. They want to use HP 12 K Rend stuff and finish with Krend smooth coloured render. I’ve been reading horror stories about how it cracks, can’t be patched and susceptible to algae. I am not fussed with it being a smooth finish, I just want it to last so if the rough stone finish is best I am happy to do it.
Am I right in thinking this? What is the best finish? I want it to be as breathable as possible. Are there better products to use, I’ve been reading about Parex/Weber? Any help is much appreciated and if anyone is in Central Scotland that is looking for work, just let me know.
Your in scotland mate, smooth render isn’t really suited for our weather. If I was you I would keep the roughcast finish as it offers more protection.

All off, and go for a wet dash finish. Have a look at stone pack renders half the price of K rend and in Forfar.
Agree with the stonepack comment but not the wetdash, it does provide best protection but I think it looks horrible

Got lots of wet dash round here all done in 60s 70s using strong cement mix

Looks drab ...

Sometimes find nice stone underneath and point or lime render depending on what customer requires