Roughcast

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott.beaumont

got told today by the bloke i work for me and guy work with going to do roughcast. now i aint done it before and guy i work aint done it for years and years and he was his dads boy when he did. Any tips from you guys be much appreciated.

Cover and mask up well, whatever mix you use have it in a tub and wet, have it so it just has an edge when you scrape around the tub with a trowel, pour it into buckets with a jug, get the bucket under your arm and harling dash it on lightly, two passes, tidy up Bobs your uncle and Fannys your aunt. Messy though but you get the hang of it quick. You have to put a butter coat on first, then dash when it's firm.

Last edited:
Do a side thats not going to be seen first. Dont put your butter coat on 2 thick it will slump...nice and tight.

Cover EVERYTHING up before you start!
To be honest mate you're gonna struggle unless he's a good 'un and can get right back into the swing of things. It's a bit difficult to describe how to do it, you really need to be shown on site. You're gonna need a bit of a practice swing first - somewhere that you can scrape off once you're done.

I was told to hold your dash trowel like you're shaking someones hand, nice firm grip. Stand at 90 degrees to the wall and get ready to get sh!t up!

Some blokes lift the roughcast/wetdash/harling straight out of the bucket, but I prefer to take it off my handboard for a more even finish. Each to their own. I'll assume that you can dry dash so the arm action is quite similar to that and as each trowelful leaves the trowel the leading edge of your trowel should be parrallel to the wall.Next you need to LISTEN to it as it hits the wall. If you hear a SLAP you've done alright, if you hear a whooshing kind of noise you're probably not covering the wall sufficiently and will leave loads of 'blacks' which will look shoit when you're finished. Your back will ache, your arms will ache, your shoulders will ache and you will NEVER WANT TO DO IT AGAIN. Go home and have a fkin good wash, you'll need it:RpS_thumbup:

I tend to cast in a upward motion its hard to explain. Can't you persuade client to dry dash so much cleaner and easier.

I reckon your need a f**kin good w**k at the end of it m8. Stressful first time. lol

Cover EVERYTHING up before you start!
To be honest mate you're gonna struggle unless he's a good 'un and can get right back into the swing of things. It's a bit difficult to describe how to do it, you really need to be shown on site. You're gonna need a bit of a practice swing first - somewhere that you can scrape off once you're done.

I was told to hold your dash trowel like you're shaking someones hand, nice firm grip. Stand at 90 degrees to the wall and get ready to get sh!t up!

Some blokes lift the roughcast/wetdash/harling straight out of the bucket, but I prefer to take it off my handboard for a more even finish. Each to their own. I'll assume that you can dry dash so the arm action is quite similar to that and as each trowelful leaves the trowel the leading edge of your trowel should be parrallel to the wall.Next you need to LISTEN to it as it hits the wall. If you hear a SLAP you've done alright, if you hear a whooshing kind of noise you're probably not covering the wall sufficiently and will leave loads of 'blacks' which will look shoit when you're finished. Your back will ache, your arms will ache, your shoulders will ache and you will NEVER WANT TO DO IT AGAIN. Go home and have a fkin good wash, you'll need it:RpS_thumbup:

Yeah we was talking about today and he said the last time he done it he said he would never do it again. it sounds S$%t!!!!!!!

i dont really get why people dont like wet dashing. its much easier than dry. its actually quite hard to do wrong coz it looks s**t anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.