rough idea of how many jumbo bags of plastering sand to order?

Members online

gooty

interior rendering a large area about 10-15mm thick 4:1.
don't wanna order too little or way too much.
any ideas roughly how many m2 from a jumbo bag?
thanks.
BTW do you bother using plastering sand and use sharp instead?

benny hill 2.gif

Don't do it, if you cannot do the numbers you aint right for the job, and have you ever tried to do internal render in sharp sand? No, didn't think so.

I have done internal rendering, but the 'plastering' sand was full of small stones. PITA but it went on and the finished job turned out OK.
BTW I cannot do the numbers (would love to see your workings out lol), but assumed most professionals here would know roughly how many m2 per jumbo bag.

Well I suppose you could think of it as a 1m cube, that's 1m2 every millimetre and divide by the thickness of your render, andz Bob's!, you got how many m2!
then allow for wastage, and voids, and moisture content, s' easy

:risas2:

Well I suppose you could think of it as a 1m cube, that's 1m2 every millimetre and divide by the thickness of your render, andz Bob's!, you got how many m2!
then allow for wastage, and voids, and moisture content, s' easy

:risas2:
Think you will blow his head with this

It hurt mine trying to understand and learn concrete mixes at Tech college - in those days things were worked out mixing up shovelfuls, buckets and wood boxes. Never really got the hang of it, my maths is shite

A jumbo bag is 850 kg to make it 4&1 you need around 200 kg of cement So 1000 kg,
25 kg a metre at 15 mm, mate 40 meters to a ton
Most jumbo bags are 800kg.
Trust me you won’t get 40m2 of S&C @15mm out of a bulk bag mate.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
I only wanted a rough idea, so as to not over/under order.
I just assumed you professionals would need to know the basics of this to do your job.
Anyway, I asked someone as clever as you lot and he said the bag is a m3.
So each '15mm slice' would be a m2.
There are roughly 66 X '15mm slices' in a metre, so it would cover an area 66m2.
mmmmm, but that's a lot more than Tramps calculation and Cockney1 poo poo'd that!!!

JUST SAW TRAMPS POST ABOVE. THANKS M8. A PROFESSIONAL AT LAST :bananahappy:

I just assumed you professionals would need to know the basics of this to do your job.
There are roughly 66 X '15mm slices' in a metre, so it would cover an area 66m2.
mmmmm, but that's a lot more than Tramps calculation and Cockney1 poo poo'd that!!!

Most merchants stock jumbo bags, but better off with a jimbo bag tbf.

I’m doing it every day
Every renderer is taught this.
25 kg of raw material =
@5mm, 3m2
@10mm, 1.5m2
@15mm, 1m2
and so on, The only thing I can think off is cockney bricklayers must be rough as f**k:LOL:
Do you do much S&C mate?

Anyway, I asked someone as clever as you lot ...
Uh huh, someone who you think is clever but knows FA about actually doing the job. There are umpteen fckn uk web easy answers if you goggle it, so why bother coming on here and bothering folk?
Why are you S&C internal rendering anyway, or did you really want a lime mix?

Do you do much S&C mate?
We had an account with tarmac, sand direct from the quarry back in the day,
can still remember pumping up my reeboks so I could bounce around the scaffolding handballing that s***!
We use 25kg bagged graded s&c that can go through the machine now same principle, a bag a m at 15 mil.

A jumbo bag is 850 kg to make it 4&1 you need around 200 kg of cement So 1000 kg,
25 kg a metre at 15 mm, mate 40 meters to a ton
Render or mortar strengths are worked out by volume, not by weight.
That's why gauge boxes were used Brimstone mentioned.

I'd like to know which merchant you use that a m3 of sand in their bulk bags?