Ripples in skim

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
Never had this problem before...but the other day I did a ceiling over artex, then painted i and in one area noticed ripples...not tiger stripes...they were much wider, can only describe them as ripples.

And today I was re skimming an uneven old wall, I layed on flattened off, put the second coat on, flattened then wet trowel, came back to it after clearing up to give it a dry one and noticed the ripples again...a dry trowel seemed to sort it but i don't know why its happening...

It seems to be a problem i'm having over uneven surfaces...any ideas why?

prolly topping it too early, layin on too thick, overkillin the suction when you prep up etc etc etc ...

experience mate...

It's like Eric bristow problem he had throwing darts .they called it dartitis maybe it's skimitis lol.

bugger of kebabster you aint gonna lay on skim 10mil thick and pull it right on final trowel... youll end up sponging it...

might manage it with a big f'ckoff trowel or a spat like, but under normal circumstances...
and you know what he's done...
just wobbled away 'easy this innit'... then got patches where hes kept running the trowel over it where he prolly should have left it... or better still, dubbed it out a bit....

keep practicing freed, when you can one shot it that thick, youll have it cracked :RpS_love:

Yep it is a timing issue...I've been getting onto the second coat to quickly with the wet trowel. Thanks all.

im new to this forum thing but i have been trained to always use a sponge after flattening the second coat .. and this always prevents any ripples or uneven surfaces going funny

im new to this forum thing but i have been trained to always use a sponge after flattening the second coat .. and this always prevents any ripples or uneven surfaces going funny

I was taught the same and did it for years , but now i only do it on problem areas , it deffo makes a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.