Returns, thickness and flatness

Members online

Get too close and you end up putting your nose in it as I did a few times :risas:

I'm really thinking reading @lurpak post I'm putting it on way too thick to begin with, about 3/4 of my trowel is loaded with mix when I hit the wall (again, how we were taught)
Don't think it matters whats on trowel . If there loads on just spread that out

I would say that in my experience as has been noted above that two thin coats are best .I apply the first coat with firm pressure to flatten skim against wall.The finish on first coat should then be fairly flat.When this firms up then hit with a second coat again with firm pressure.The secret is to let it firm up again so the plaster is still damp but not wet to touch it shouldn't give to much under finger pressure.Then trowel it flat.If it drags then wet your trowel with brush.Leave to firm up some more then trowel again with wet trowel or minimal water splashed on wall.
I have found thick coats cause all sorts of problems and take much longer to lay on.A thin coat will obviously spread much furthe in a sweep so coverage is 50 % faster.
Try to lay on with minimal trowel marks.It is achievable.
Thick coats will make the plaster move around under the trowel if you hit it to early causing bumps.
If old walls are uneven i give an undercoat of bonding.
Bonding has to be quite a wet mix.Perhaps slightly wetter than a finish mix.Skim like finish aiming for minimal trowel marks.It will firm up quite quickly when it is still damp hit with two coats of finish.