Retraining later in life

Members online

Olican

Private Member
This topic often comes up so I'd thought I'd share this story, bear in mind this all happened pre-lockdown.

A friend of mine is a retired policeman of 18 years, prior to that served in the Army. He has always done his own renovations and has picked up a solid skill set.
Last year he told me he wasn't ready to stop working and considered trading. I suggested becoming a locksmith. He spent next couple of months researching, went on a locksmith course which came with a follow up support network (£1800 5 day course)
Website , signwritten van , workwear and ready to go. On the day he picked up his van he got a call from someone that saw . Old fella locked out, straight forward job, cherry broken. A month later and his phone rings every day, he offers additional services now . New seals, door furniture etc and is looking to add additional skills after the lockdown ( security systems etc)
Sounds like a good trade, definitely something I'd consider .

Would imagine it's a nice trade that, not to hard on the body and pretty steady no massive amount of lifting etc

Its teactive
This topic often comes up so I'd thought I'd share this story, bear in mind this all happened pre-lockdown.

A friend of mine is a retired policeman of 18 years, prior to that served in the Army. He has always done his own renovations and has picked up a solid skill set.
Last year he told me he wasn't ready to stop working and considered trading. I suggested becoming a locksmith. He spent next couple of months researching, went on a locksmith course which came with a follow up support network (£1800 5 day course)
Website , signwritten van , workwear and ready to go. On the day he picked up his van he got a call from someone that saw . Old fella locked out, straight forward job, cherry broken. A month later and his phone rings every day, he offers additional services now . New seals, door furniture etc and is looking to add additional skills after the lockdown ( security systems etc)
Sounds like a good trade, definitely something I'd consider .

Its reactive work though mate...they phone when there locked out if you cant come there and then they ring the next one. No planning jobs ahead etc

24hr

Its teactive

Its reactive work though mate...they phone when there locked out if you cant come there and then they ring the next one. No planning jobs ahead etc

24hr
True bud, he is getting bookings ahead though. Alot of it is reactive as you say but he was getting non urgent calls that he can book in advance. Plus upselling additional work can be booked ahead

What about some skim off ebay for me!!!

Phhhhhhhhh
Get yourself some rightfinish (y)
Screenshot_20200428-131036.png

Do you know what mate if there stores they should be boycotted & shamed.

If there lads from trade they are utter scum.

I gave a pallet away 2weeks ago for the exact price I pay to a young lad that needs to carry on working to feed his young family and pay his bills.

I know he will be the 1st to dig me out of a hole when back up and running and snowed under.

Bad karma for some f**k**s I hope!

I'd rather chop my nob off than pay more than £6 for any bag of skim!

i have just been to my local builders merchants and cleared them out of finish plaster. £8 per bag plus vat so true figure about £10 per bag. it will be weeks before the price returns if ever.
the merchants was not open the staff had to pass the bags under the gate !

i have just been to my local builders merchants and cleared them out of finish plaster. £8 per bag plus vat so true figure about £10 per bag. it will be weeks before the price returns if ever.
the merchants was not open the staff had to pass the bags under the gate !

This situation should never have been allowed to happen.

British gypsum monopoly to be able to put a strangle hold on our trade and related trades is massively unfair.

The goverment have there part to play in this also how there lockdown policy has created an enviroment where if you do as asked and needed your left at a disadvantage to those seeking to carry on without a care in the world.

There will be good lads on here that have played the game that will have jobs taken off them by snakes stockpiling and working through.

It's a F*****g joke!

And to top it all BG want to come on here and play the heroes and think there actually doing us a favour!

this is the 3rd plaster shortage that i have known in uk. if BG perform like the last 2 episodes it will still run for a while.
i guess that they will just have 1 line running. the first delivers will go to NHS contractors.
the second delivery will be to the large firms that have a signed agreement with BG to only use their materials.
the 3rd deliveries will be to the builders merchants. this will take a few weeks.
being self employed it is the fittest that will survive.

this is the 3rd plaster shortage that i have known in uk. if BG perform like the last 2 episodes it will still run for a while.
i guess that they will just have 1 line running. the first delivers will go to NHS contractors. the second delivery will be to the large firms that have a signed agreement with BG to only use their materials.
the 3rd deliveries will be to the builders merchants.

Add to that south east 1st
Midlands 2nd
North 3rd

i guess that they will just have 1 line running. the first delivers will go to NHS contractors.
the second delivery will be to the large firms that have a signed agreement with BG to only use their materials.
the 3rd deliveries will be to the builders merchants. this will take a few weeks.
being self employed it is the fittest that will survive.
I remember the other plaster shortages also but it was better managed at merchants. 5 bags per man per day! None of this buying up pallets bullshit, it’s disgusting and it hasn’t helped anyone. Small I****n merchants in London was letting you take whatever you wanted at 3 times the normal price.

I remember the other plaster shortages also but it was better managed at merchants. 5 bags per man per day! None of this buying up pallets bullshit, it’s disgusting and it hasn’t helped anyone. Small I****n merchants in London was letting you take whatever you wanted at 3 times the normal price.

i often laugh about the shortage in the 70s. the contractor we subbed off went into the builders merchants and ordered a boat load of Knauf, it was coming from Belgium. a few weeks later the builders merchant phoned up to say that it was down at the local docks.
Lou said "oh i don't need it now BG are back in production". when we called in at the builders merchants they where stacked out with the plaster. Lou would say to them that he would take it off their hands if they paid him to do so.

Yes heard about them... Skimminder wahal builders! :ROFLMAO:

Do you know what mate if there stores they should be boycotted & shamed.

If there lads from trade they are utter scum.

I gave a pallet away 2weeks ago for the exact price I pay to a young lad that needs to carry on working to feed his young family and pay his bills.

I know he will be the 1st to dig me out of a hole when back up and running and snowed under.

Bad karma for some f**k**s I hope!
I can't believe you helped a scab.