Retired spreads.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesthefirst

Private Member
I have worked for people who claim to have been in the building game or done some plastering but normally turns out they patched a wall once 30 years ago! etc
Has any of you ever had to work in a retired spreads house, one who knew what he was talking about etc? Watching you quietly from a distance?

I've worked in a couple of spreads houses for insurance companies Not retired though.

Not all but most jobs i quote the customers always mention they have a plasterer cousin, uncle, brother, friend etc etc :RpS_laugh:
Yeah ok then lol.

spreads don't reach retirement age, they just die :-(

Sorry for that 'Hector' moment :RpS_mellow:

Last edited:
in todays climate spreads cnt afford to retire, or make it much above 50 odd so your facked uncle al.

ermmm hector thinks we are all royaly facked and beddy thinks henrys dead:RpS_unsure:

The feather-edge, the trowel,
The spotboard and the stand,
Ten thousand walls he's covered,
And every one by hand.

Now he's ready for his rest,
The hardest working spread,
But, dear friend, he can't,
Alas, he's fkin dead :RpS_crying:

he cnt be ..........................................................can he????:RpS_confused:
did anyone know him to talk to him other than on here??

The feather-edge, the trowel,
The spotboard and the stand,
Ten thousand walls he's covered,
And every one by hand.

Now he's ready for his rest,
The hardest working spread,
But, dear friend, he can't,
Alas, he's fkin dead :RpS_crying:

:RpS_crying:

My grandfather retired aged 71.... He started in his mid twenties,
Die hard spread riddled with arthritis lol.

Customers used to always call him my "dad", so either he looked good for his age or plastering has aged me 20 odd years??

Sorry for that 'Hector' moment :RpS_mellow:[/QUOTE]

I know one spread who has finally retired at 79, he was spot on always there if I needed someone for a morning/day, he had no hobbies and the work got him out the house talking and working with people, kept him fit, but no more enjoy your retirement big man, does that qualify as a hector moment

Its predicted in Carlisle that spreads will search the bins for food,sleeping on old uni finish bags, some are huddled up for warmth against other dead spreads, but the worst has yet to come said the Carlisle spread spokesman..

Here I am sitting in the Canary Islands in the sun. Retired from plastering in 2002. Worked hard as did all the old spreads (or got the chop) Think one year worked 12 hour days for 33 weeks without a day off. Had real bags of plaster not those tiddy ones you lift now. Had to do all the elements of our trade,ceiling fixing,tacking,screeding, granite,lime work,s/s render,dry lining and fibrous work. earned stacks bought two pubs and a farm. On the down side ruined my back. just to let you know it is possible to have a good retirement if you work hard and save and invest wisely.

No I am in Lanzarote have had property here since 1984. Just love the laid back attitude , lack of crime ,beer at £1.25 a pint, petrol under £! and fags at£20 a sleeve of ten

RR I no was no bother at all from what I seen , drivers were very curtious aswell, some thing to do with a 100 euro fine if u don't slow down for some one on zebra crossing etc . My lass wants to move there, a few years till we can retire ! And graft across there fuk nos wot the crak would be plenty rendering . . . Plenty cowboys from wot I heard too

I have worked for people who claim to have been in the building game or done some plastering but normally turns out they patched a wall once 30 years ago! etc
Has any of you ever had to work in a retired spreads house, one who knew what he was talking about etc? Watching you quietly from a distance?
aye went 2 re skim a living room for elderly couple.plastering away i got talking to him he asked me were i served my time.turns out the guy i served my time with was his apprentice.years ago he named all the older spreads who were still there guy wis brand new.made sure i made a good job of his walls.i no he would be eyeing it up when i left.

everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that henry could well be dead here:RpS_unsure: did no one know him outside of the forum or do any work with him??

old-man-clubbing.jpg

No I am in Lanzarote have had property here since 1984. Just love the laid back attitude , lack of crime ,beer at £1.25 a pint, petrol under £! and fags at£20 a sleeve of ten

What part of Lanzarote are you in mate ?....as I live here also

Status
Not open for further replies.