Retaining Wall

Members online

No members online now.

FreeD

Private Member
I've got to price a job on an old retaining garden wall...I know these jobs are high risk...wall generally looks in good condition...but existing sand/cement render is shot. I've looked at all the options and tanking...weep vents not an option so I'm thinking of battening the wall out either with treated timber with DPC...or metal battens...cement board then render system. Will cover the top with soffit flashings. What do you reckon?

No sure how bad the brickwork is...but I don't think that will be an option as it could blow and stain?

No sure how bad the brickwork is...but I don't think that will be an option as it could blow and stain?

i have never known a thin coat system to blow, may be a spar finish, a flint not a stone. or brick slip. i would not bother to quote if i thought the wall was to wet.

Can their not be an air gap disguised under coping and at floor

whats that plastic stiff bubble shizzle called? delta? pin that to t'wall, splatter, scratch then top it end of problem

Forget it keep plastering
However no finish till July in merchants

Render to retainers should be outlawed
They are nasty

Your welcome

whats that plastic stiff bubble shizzle called? delta? pin that to t'wall, splatter, scratch then top it end of problem

Thought about that mate but apparently they shouldn't be rendered on externally...going to go with the battens and carrier board...will be air gap at the bottom and soffit flashing at top...bespoke fix but I can see any reason why it would fail...battens will be protected by DPC.

Thought about that mate but apparently they shouldn't be rendered on externally...going to go with the battens and carrier board...will be air gap at the bottom and soffit flashing at top...bespoke fix but I can see any reason why it would fail...battens will be protected by DPC.
Look at “triton platon system “ I used this on a job 18 months ago , had the exact same concerns as you, water pressure blowing the render and staining , not had any come backs yet ( famous last words). In fact I’m buying some today for another job very similar

i have never known a thin coat system to blow, may be a spar finish, a flint not a stone. or brick slip. i would not bother to quote if i thought the wall was to wet.
If you have water pressure from behind malc , nothing will stop it blowing

Only cos of atmospheric conditions, if it’s well fixed should be ok ,at least if it cracks the water pressure from behind won’t push it Off and will just run down the back of the membrane

Only cos of atmospheric conditions, if it’s well fixed should be ok ,at least if it cracks the water pressure from behind won’t push it Off and will just run down the back of the membrane

Thanks mate which one did you use? and what render system? Guess I was worried about the bond between the membrane and render whether freeze thaw would blow it. I'll call them today.

Thanks mate which one did you use? and what render system? Guess I was worried about the bond between the membrane and render whether freeze thaw would blow it. I'll call them today.
It’s got a (render )mesh stuck to the face for a key also, I’ll take pic in half hour when I’m in the van of it, I’d recommend sbr in the mix to , to give it a bit of flexibility and stickability. Triton tech guy said it was fine for outside when I done the retaining wall 18 months ago , and that was a dash job , I was worried about the weight , spoke to there manager yesterday and he said. Loads do it without come back but it’s not something they recommend, they had a couple of issues with it cracking , but not blowing, as we know , render will crack anyway , but least nothing will go thru it , it’s a risk but a calculated risk

It’s got a (render )mesh stuck to the face for a key also, I’ll take pic in half hour when I’m in the van of it, I’d recommend sbr in the mix to , to give it a bit of flexibility and stickability. Triton tech guy said it was fine for outside when I done the retaining wall 18 months ago , and that was a dash job , I was worried about the weight , spoke to there manager yesterday and he said. Loads do it without come back but it’s not something they recommend, they had a couple of issues with it cracking , but not blowing, as we know , render will crack anyway , but least nothing will go thru it , it’s a risk but a calculated risk

Thanks mate be interested to see photos...so you did a sand/cement site mix 4-1...with SBR in first coat?

Thanks mate be interested to see photos...so you did a sand/cement site mix 4-1...with SBR in first coat?
You could do 5-1 scratch and 6-1-1 top , might be more forgiving??
173E75E7-C78A-4B4E-B87B-C2437A24B9EA.jpeg

You could do 5-1 scratch and 6-1-1 top , might be more forgiving??View attachment 48895

Thanks mate I've used that stuff loads internally...I will speak to them today. What do you think about the cement boards on battens...also an option? It's basically cladding the wall...the only problem with that membrane is drilling hundreds of holes...and sometimes the plugs can be a right pain to hammer home.

Thanks mate I've used that stuff loads internally...I will speak to them today. What do you think about the cement boards on battens...also an option? It's basically cladding the wall...the only problem with that membrane is drilling hundreds of holes...and sometimes the plugs can be a right pain to hammer home.
Never used cement board , so can’t comment freeD

A few options with it, all good suggestions or you could fix treated lattes to the substrate and cement boards and thin coat system.

There would be nothing in it by the time you've battened it out and carrier board, maybe 10 ml

I'm going to go down the treated battens route, with DPC on back...followed by cement board and thin coat...I just don't see anything that can go wrong with this build up...will provide air gap

There would be nothing in it by the time you've battened it out and carrier board, maybe 10 ml

This was my first solution but i'm just not comfortable with anything against the wall...would sleep better with a cavity. I think this would work though.