Resiliant bar

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodplasterer

Hello fellow spreads been away for a while got burgalerised and had me laptop nicked :( just got round to setting up the pc, anyway resiliant bar gotta do a job tomorrow and i am gonna need some resiliant bar, only trouble is wheres the best place to get it and how much is it?

welcome back mate... been a long while...
um... wots resiliant bar? are you talkin about welded fabric? i.e. reinforcing sheets for concrete?

No it the stuff they use for plasterboarding on sound proofing its for a small staircase there aint much room for battons so gotta go with resiliant bar to save on the space. Its a rght nightmare job and hard to explain its one of those you have to see it to believe it :eek:

seggs you cross batten the joists with it and then fix the board to the res bar so when the sound travels it doesnt connect with the actuall joists thus reducing the sound ...........another system :-/.............it all gets confusing after a while!

couple of hundred yrs ago they used to put sea shells between the floor joists for soundproofing, discovered that working on a georgian place in kew a few yrs back....

sound travels in a straight line trust me ive seen it once :D so if it's broke up it reduces it if anyones done sound coat youre advised to leave it as rough as poss to break up the sound passage its all too easy to put a trowel over it to get it all nice and neat ;D

i was workin with these last week, i had 2 double board the ceiling in 19mm and 12.5mm. We were told we couldnt put any screws in 100mm either side of the joist so had t chalk line the resiliant bar and joist, right pain in the arse

still sounds a better system than the last time i did sound insulation..
had to double board downstairs ceiling, 3/4 then 1/2" blue over... no worries really...
upstairs though, on top of the floorboards we had to put 50mm of this sound insulation that looks like a real thick version of that lami floor underlay you get for timber floors (the green stuff) then on top of that (get this) 3/4 plasterboard? then on top of that 22mm chipboard... flats conversion..
nightmare when we came to the stairwell cos all the floors upstairs were 90mm higher so the top step was 'un-regulation'...
after scratchin our heads for a day the old clerk of works solved it for us... top tip....
bottom step add 1/4" ply... next one up add 1/2" ply, next one add 3/4 ply, next one add 1" ply, next one add 1"+1/4" ply and so on in multiples up to the top...
still a f'ckin nightmare though... :D

and then theres the testing apparently it's a grand before they get out of bed! we should chip in and buy the testing kit and have a look!!

Status
Not open for further replies.